cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old subject - changing electricity suppliers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Old subject - changing electricity suppliers

Looking at the costs when my current fixed price contract with SSE runs out in November I can save over £400 switching to either OVO or Scottish Power

Any thoughts on which would be the better option given that OVO seems to have a much better survey result https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/campaigns/uswitch-energy-awards-2017/ which probably answers the question

40 REPLIES
salmo
Rising Star

Re: Old subject - changing electricity suppliers

I've been with OVO and no problems. At present with Scottish Power and a couple of hitches at the start which were sorted quickly over the phone. Longest wait time 30 seconds!! Half way through an eighteen month fixed deal and still the cheapest according to MSE energy club. I changed using MSE which was easy and gave me cashback. I went with Scottish Power because it was the cheapest fix and covered two winters. I think both have early exit penalties.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

From my experience with Scottish Power, and  a friends with both companies, I would go with OVO - If you don't need to contact SP, you're generally OK, but if you have even the slightest hiccup - god help you!

In contrast, OVO, now they've sorted their initial problems are excellent at communication and error correcting. Although SP were slightly cheaper when I came to renew my power contract, I ignored them - the thought of trying to get them to get anything right at the tenth, never mind the first, attempt fills me with dread.

John
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

I've been with Ovo 18 months or more now and not had any issues with them
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Personally I would go with ovo.

I was with Scottish Power several years ago and they were more expensive than my current supplier Extra Energy.

I guess the switch saved me over £ 200 a year.

Whilst I personally had no problems with Scottish Power many customers did and they got a poor rating.

Extra energy also has a poor rating for customer services, failing to respond to emails, and phoning you to go and read your meter despite entering the readings on a monthly basis so I guess I will be changing supplier in November.

Bit suspicious about the claimed savings I will make switching from Extra energy to Ovo.

Just hope the switch goes ok as some customers have reported problems.

Community Veteran

Regarding savings - I tend not to trust the numbers either which is why I put the actual numbers into a spreadsheet

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Yep, Ovo are a safe bet in our opinion.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 212

My grandad has been with OVO for a couple of years and I don't think he's experienced a problem. I've recently changed to Green Network Energy [purely because they seemed to be the cheapest for my address].

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

From your link @Gandalf

Please note that this website only runs third-party cookies. Thus, it does not run first-party cookies in order to send advertising messages to users. Should you intend to continue the browsing of this website, you are required to approve the use of cookies. Should you wish to gain further information, including technical information on cookies run by this website, and/or reject individual cookies installation, please find out more details as set out in our cookie policy document.

PRIVACY POLICY

[-Censored-]?
I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I've been with Ovo for the past 7 years, the only issues I've had with them was with the fitting of "smart" meters and changing to their "Smart PAYG+" service, which they forgot to finalise, and everything went awry, but it's sorted now...

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Oldjim wrote:

Regarding savings - I tend not to trust the numbers either which is why I put the actual numbers into a spreadsheet

Thumbs UpThat's a man after my own heart! Not only does it help with the numbers, but gives one clout when arguing over amounts of DD.

As to suppliers, I've been with SP for a while now, and any problem has been sorted reasonably quick. I'd tend to be wary of newcomers to the market until there's a proven track record. of course that doesn't apply to OVO.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Oldjim  I got Marin Lewis` moneysaving email this morning.... here is  a part of it...

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Very cheap TWO YEAR fix from Ovo - a company 89% rate 'great'.
- Cost for typical usage: £883/yr (incl £25 MSE cashback split over 2yrs)
- How to find if it's YOUR cheapest: Do a normal comparison, or for ease use our special TOP PICKS comparison which shows only our selected top picks.

This is a very strong deal, that's only just launched. It's especially good for those who find switching a hassle, as the rate is cheap and fixed for 2yrs, so there's no need to act again until then and it covers you for two winters' usage - if prices rise it could look very nifty then.

Better still it's from Ovo, a mid-sized firm with 700,000 customers which is constantly one of the top performers in our customer service poll. Last time 89% rated it 'great', just 3% 'poor', from a strong sample of 569 votes. If lots of you go and get this tariff, the way fixes work it's possible Ovo may limit the number available, so get in quickly. Here's brief info...

- It's for new AND existing Ovo customers.
- It's available for dual-fuel & elec-only, incl Eco 7.
- New customers get £25 dual-fuel (£12.50 elec-only) MSE Cheap Energy Club cashback
- Existing customers can get it but need to switch directly with Ovo.
- The rate (not cost, that depends on use) is fixed for exactly 2yrs from when it starts supplying you.
- You must pay by monthly direct debit.
- If you move home you CAN'T take it with you.
- You pay exit fees of £30/fuel if you leave early.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

- The Warm Home Discount is available with it.

Community Veteran

that may be the one I go for but there is one  from Scottish Power which gives 28 months fixed no exit  fee

of course it may change when my present plan runs out in November

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Might be worth doing a google search on ... "scottish power reviews" ...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&q=scottish+power+reviews+moneysupermarket&oq=scottish+powe...

and a couple of lines down....

read this....  first....   notice   that there are 1,351 reviews.... with 0.3 % as their overall rating...   look at the numbers on the right hand side...

Rating Distribution.....  Excellent     1%

Great   0%

Average  0%

Poor 2%

BAD   96%

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.scottishpower.com

Compare that to OVO.... and then decide if the small difference in the overall basic rate is worth it..... 

Compare it to Ebay Sellers..... "Would you buy something from an Ebay seller with 96% BAD rating  ? ? " 

Community Veteran

already did that - look at the opening post