cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old car insurance topic

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Old car insurance topic

A short while ago there was a topic running in here that diverted into car insurance (I'm pretty sure it didn't start that way) but I can't find it (there's no need to link it if you know where it is)
I made a comment that in New Zealand it is the vehicle insured not the driver in complete contrast to European rules.
Speaking to my daughter in New Zealand today, I can confirm the situation is actually worse; Motor insurance in NZ is not obligatory at all. However sensible drivers can take out fully comprehensive or third party insurance, but I can confirm that it is the vehicle not the driver that is insured. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Old car insurance topic

Much the same in the US, insurance is optional (and no road tax etc) but they do pay for the licence plate etc.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Old car insurance topic

There is a EU country that does it like this too (I won't say much as I have my reasons). Again no driver insurance but its on the car. How the EU see fit to rule on us with one hand while letting others do as they please with the other is beyond me.
We need a european court of country rights now..  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!