cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Watch Research

Fixes: 47

Old Watch Research

I have a Wyler Super Tropical watch which belonged to my Father. I believe he bought it in Egypt around 1940.
Does anyone know any sites that might give me some more information. I'm not specifically looking for a sales valuation as I wouldn't sell it but something for insurance purposes might be handy but rather some history on it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Old Watch Research

Simply Googling (which I'm sure you've already done) your watch found Wyler as part if the very exclusive Swiss RADO brand. I know you're not interested in value but following an ebay link for Wyler watches finds quite variable values, and not many of them either much depending on the rarity of the model.
You might try contacting RADO for further information.
I've had a lifelong fascination with timepieces especially wrist-watches. When featured on TV auction type programmes they usually make me sit up and take notice. Have a small ambition to one day to be in a position to be able to afford something from one of the great makers -Rolex maybe- for no other reason than it is a Rolex and not a Hong Kong fake I've known to wear. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

I've added a couple of photos of the watch to my opening post.
I did once take it to a jewellers in town to enquire about cleaning as my Dad did have it cleaned once a year.
The man took one look at the watch and say "I wouldn't like to have a go at it..........but if you want to sell it....." Smiley
"No thanks" I said and left.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
for no other reason than it is a Rolex and not a Hong Kong fake

I moved from a nice understated Omega to an equally "non-bling" Rolex many years ago just because I admire the mechanical technology.
Over the years I've bought it again on servicing.....
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Perhaps consider taking it to the Antiques Roadshow.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/beonashow/antiques
Community Veteran

Indeed Rolex have their own "budget" range under a different brand name -who's name escapes me for a moment- Savoy or something like that but definitely a 5 letter name. Excellent quality look just like the lower end of the Rolex range.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Edit: The Rolex budget range is called Tudor.

Community Veteran

Started in 1946!
Community Veteran

IF!! you are interested in fakes here's an interesting site: http://www.cool-watches.com/

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Talking of fakes I bought a couple in Bulgaria about 10 years ago for approx £3.50 each and they are still going strong.
Yes they do keep the correct time and apart from a new battery every 2 years no problems

I bought a Breitling chronograph watch over 35 years ago and it was my pride and joy.
I was up a 10' ladder when the bottom slipped and down we went the ladder and I.
My left hand went under the ladder and a rung came down on the watch on my wrist, smashed the glass and damaged the tiny shafts on which the hands were mounted effectively riveting the hands on.
I still have it somewhere and could I suppose get it repaired.