cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Sheffield Wednesday photo.....not what you think

Fixes: 47

Old Sheffield Wednesday photo.....not what you think

I was looking through some old Sheffield photos online and came across this one (attached)
Is your favourite football team celebrated in steam?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
4 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Re: Old Sheffield Wednesday photo.....not what you think

Great pic Strat
The list of football teams that have had a steam locomotives  named after them can be see here:
http://www.railalbum.co.uk/steam-locomotives/lner-b17-1.htm
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

HAng on.. you mean that all those footie thugs who laugh at train spotters and railway buffs have their teams named after trains?  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Oops! Almost forgot to say, what a stunner! They don't build em like that anymore!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

LNER 2861 4-6-0 B17/4 Footballer Class Sheffield Wednesday, converted to type B17/6 in August 1955.
Built at Darlington in June 1936 it was renumbered in 1946 as No 1661 and again after 1948 as No 61661 which it retained until it was withdrawn from service 23/07/1959 disposed of 31/07/1959.
What doesn't show on Strat's excellent photograph are the blue and white stripes on the plate just below Sheffield Wednesday.        
more details here http://www.railuk.info/steam/getsteam.php?row_id=15826
The B17/4's were the last of the Sandringham class to be built. They started their working life on the Great Central section of the LNER so did not have to comply with the severe length restrictions imposed by the turntables of the old Great Eastern area which had required the earlier Sandringham's to be attached to short Great Eastern style tenders. This meant that they could have LNER standard 4,200 gallon tenders.
The naming of this subclass also differed from the rest, taking the names of Association Football Clubs in the LNER area, instead of English country houses.
They were used on express passenger services, taking over from old less powerful locomotives. After the length restrictions were removed they were transferred to the East Anglia area, where they served until withdrawn.
On withdrawal one of the nameplates was presented to Sheffield Wednesday, some clubs have sold-on their 'plates' to raise much needed money.

bit sad I know................