Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Mice

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Old Mice

No, I`m not talking about the Aftershave of similar name  Cheesy
Recently, my wired, optical mouse, has been "playing up"... kept connecting and disconnecting over and over again, ... my standby mouse took over, while I waited for 2 replacements from ebay..... on arrival, I now have 4 mice !.... ( very nice ! ) .... however, I wondered what other people do with their old mice, either as disposal, or give them a completely new use by adapting them ?
Any suggestions.... ?
17 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Old Mice

Cat interested? Smiley
Community Veteran

No cat  Cry
Fixes: 125

It can be an emotional time when a mouse 'dies' on you.
After all, you're in close contact most days, they sit there patiently waiting for you and you maybe even give them pet names.
Me, I just take them to the local council tip Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

shalom2010
Grafter

Mine went the same way I'm afraid Smiley
I'm now the proud owner of a Steelseries keyboard & mouse (Sensei) - both wired.
Community Veteran

........set a trap Wink
shalom2010
Grafter

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I run a Mouse (PC) departure service where your much loved Human Interface Device (HID) will be given a respectful farewell.
A small choir of MP3 players will be clustered around the eco-friendly departure casket playing sweet music as the owner's eulogy will be played through Bose speakers.
A robed Geek acolyte will read extracts from   Helen Custer's  "Inside Windows NT" as a procession of four bearers will deliver the beloved HID into the cleansing flames* of the bio-gas funeral pyre.
After the farewell ceremony the grieving owner will be presented with a laser engraved polycarbonate block as an enduring reminder of the lost one. The memorial will bear the URL link to the YouTube video recording of the ceremony.
This wonderful service is available at a special price of 8 Troy ounces of gold.

Edit: * subject to local Smoke emission Regulations
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Splendid......
Do you do a "bulk discount" Scheme?  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Naw!! just chuck it in the bin...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Tie the connector to a vertical pole, and use the mouse for playing swingball ?  Crazy
How about wasting your time converting it to being a useless camera !  - 
>
  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Gotta be honest I've never had an optical mouse fail naturally yet. Normally they end up getting battered senseless when I've had a really bad day  Roll eyes Although thinking about it, the last ones scroll wheel died but I kept that as an emergency spare as the rest of it still works.
The one I am using now plays up every so often though.. I found myself thinking "hang on, this can't be right it's got no moving parts" so I turned it over and found loads of little hairs had collected all over the optical sensor lens. Cleared those out and it's been good as new!
As for what I do with the proper dead ones, I cut of the usb wire in case I need it for a project (usb plug and wire = less expense) and I'll usually consider the PCB if the buttons are still working as they can be de-soldered. I also found an article on instructables a few weeks back about making use of the small optical camera inside the mouse with arduino so I think those will be collected now too lol.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Yes PC optical mice they just go on and on.
But I can help remembering Amiga mice. Their life span was measured in weeks. Buttons always failed. I must have gone through several of those.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Must be lucky, never had a mouse fail on me, still got my old BBC & Amiga mouse (somewhere in the attic)
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
still got my old BBC & Amiga mouse (somewhere in the attic)

Worth having a look...... you might find they have multiplied, and you could sell them on ebay  Cheesy