Did you mean: 

Old Media Formats, What To Do, What To Do

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Old Media Formats, What To Do, What To Do

Hi All
What do you do with old media formats?
I will start of by saying I am a bit of a hoarder or pack rat.  I find it verchaly impossible to throw anything out if I think at some point in the future I might ever use it again.
Now recently I have had the issue of coming across old media.  Mainly things I have watched and put on to VHS, I am now in the middle of transferring my VHS Tapes to DVD, I am up to 80 out of 800.
To transfer the tapes to DVD I am using a combined vhs and dvd recorder Daewoo Multi-region DF4150P
For the tapes that I recorded off TV, it does work with old pre-recorded tapes, but not new pre-recorded tapes.  So the problem isn't transferring the DVD's of TV shows and movies that I have recorded, but transferring new pre-recorded tapes, plus I want to Rip DVD's on to my 1 Terabyte external hard drive.
Plus I am transferring my CD's to MP3 with Audiograbber on to my 1 Terabyte external hard drive, what is connected to one of my DELL computers what is used for a media center.
Plus I want to transfer my LP's, 45's to MP3, I will be keeping them that is the LP's, 45's.
Plus I have over 200 Cassette Tapes that need transfering to MP3.  I have transfered most of my floppy disks on to usb PenDrives, but not the floppy disks for my old Apple MacIntoshs or my Commodore Business Machines Amiga 500
So my Questions are:
01) Wat is the best way to transfer new tapes to DVD?
02) Wat is the best DVD Ripper to transfer DVD's to hard drives?
03) Wat is the best way to transfer LP's, 45's to MP3?
04) What am i to do with the CD's and VHS pre-recorded tapes wen I am done?
05) What should I do with the tapes that I recorded off TV?  I was thinking of putting them in a recycling bin.
06) What should I do with the Cassette Tapes?
06) What should I do with my floppy disks that I no longer want?
Want to save some space in my flat, so any help is welcome.
So what do you do with old media formats?
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Old Media Formats, What To Do, What To Do

The first question that comes to mind is "Why keep it...". once you have watched/listened to it and seen/heard both sides at the same time (over use ! ! ! )...
My missus has about 100 dvd films that she claims she wants to watch some time... but realistically, never will.... I have about 50 CD`s that I haven`t played for over a year,... I`m just too lazy to chuck them out... I have tried to sell them on Ebay... but no takers !...
I don`t "hoard" specifically.... I just "can`t be bothered" to chuck it away... my shed is full of "useful" bits and pieces,.... and very occasionally they have been just that.. but when we move, I guess it will all go in the skip.... !
In the world of  "ladies fasion" ... (I am not an expert).... I have heard the saying.....
" IF you haven`t used it/worn it in the past 12 months,..... chuck it out and make room for something you will in the next 12 months"...
I just wish my missus would take heed of that last line ! !  Cheesy
johpal
Grafter

What will you do with the DVDs when they become obsolete?
Your pre-recorded VHS tapes are probably protected by a system called MacroVision. Hardware defeaters are readily available, but you'll need a video capture card and software to transfer it to your PC.
To transfer your vinyl recordings, you need a phono pre-amplifier between your turntable deck and computer, in order to achieve "line level" inputs; there are some decks available especially to transfer discs to MP3, but the quality may be less than you would wish  (or use your existing hi-fi amplifier, if it has a suitable input). I use "Audacity" to convert audio files.
Fixes: 47

I'm trying very hard to be ruthless at the moment with loads of old stuff including VHS tapes.
The trouble I have is lots of them have stuff from an old video camera and I'm not sure which tapes they are so have to trawl through them all.  Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nadger
Rising Star

Just dumped VCR machine as never got used. Must now clear out all cassettes.
Community Veteran

I have a lot of VCR tapes that I want to put on disc.  My VCR broke down before Christmas and I won't be replacing it. Looking to get a PVR and want one with a DVD recorder built in as well.  Sony makes one that looks good.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I spent MANY hours about 10 years ago, moving my comedy collection from cassette/vinyl  to mp3. At the time I used a HiFi cassette/turntable -> amplifier -> pre-out> computer line in. Now there are standalone boxes made by Ioin (?) that do the hard part and present a usb soundcard to the pc.
Major issue is splitting 45 mins of recording to mp3's!
For DVD's as has been said you need to remove the Macrovision - my DVD recorder had a f/w (Australian!) that removed it for me but I didn't transfer that many to DVD as the hassle was to much and the quality was  Tongue
Or get a video input device for the PC, card or usb, and it will record to mpg directly - not sure about Macrovision on these never used one.
(But saying all that I still have 5 1/4" floppys for my BBC B!  Grin)
Had to find a floppy the other day to boot an old laptop and had a hard job finding a blank disk  Shocked
pierre_pierre
Grafter

give the old tapes to a gardener, the tape makes good bird scarer as does old DVD's hung on the tape.
Have and old Commercial tape that when stretched is virtually impossible to break been using it for over 15 years, about half way down
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've always tried to use stuff as long as possible but recently i've kinda got fed up with it. Last year I dumped most of my VHS tapes (no player anyway) but I still have one or two I couldn't bring myself to bin.
I also last week dumped a scsi tape back up drive which I picked up off freegle but never used (I know nothing about scsi and didn't have terminators I apparently needed etc) so that went too. Oddly I still got the tape.. no idea why.
The one I do regret getting rid of was an iomega zip MP3 player which used their 40Mb disks.
Ok, not the best of tech but the whizzing spinning sound on it was totally retro. Unfortunately not very long living.
I also still have floppy drives in all my computers.. and i even somewhere still have disks too! Not used one of them for many years. I've not touched cassette tapes for years and despite having several optical disk burners CDs and DVDs seem redundant now too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Long ago I got rid of my VHS tapes (pre-recorded and personal) and haven't had a VCR for more than 6 years.
I never bothered copying commercial tapes as I figured that most, if not all, would be released on DVD & probably be Blu-ray in time. I copied, edited and burnt the remaining family videos to DVD and just threw the tapes out as they simply took up too much storage.
Many years ago (90's) I copied a lot of my audio tapes but, back then, didn't have as much knowledge as I do now and the quality was abysmal. I have since thrown out my cassettes. Years ago I used to make a copy of a vinyl the first time I played it to metal tape and only played that in both the car and home system so my records have barely been played.
I still have all my vinyl discs (many limited edition picture discs including a square disc and three-sided ones). Although I don't have a player and no have immediate plans to buy one I'll keep these as I think they may have value at some time. There is also quite a belief that vinyl remains superior to DVD and I think players will be made for many years to come. I may be wrong, though - just a belief (hope).
The sad things is that, unless we continually transfer to new media as it arrives, we could end up with DVD, tapes, etc, that can never be played. To me it's a bit like painting the Forth bridge.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

just like the BBC history disc they made, the nobody had a working player to look at them
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you live near a Lidl, this weeks Thursday specials had this Analogue to digital video grabber  for £16.99 - they dont do mail order and many things sell out within days  http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_17395.htm

* Digitise your analogue video or audio to your PC via high-speed USB 2.0 interface
    * Easy to connect to your audio or video device
    * Set includes a wide selection of connectors and cables for connecting to camcorders, video recorders, audio players and much more
    * Supplied with high-performance CyberLink PowerDirector 7 video editing software
    * Contents & accessories not included

Quote from: Mav
I still have all my vinyl discs (many limited edition picture discs including a square disc and three-sided ones).

Mav I'm going to be pondering that one for days Undecided Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sides not faces

I guessed he meant triangular but the thought intrigued me.
I do remember the horse racing discs that had multiple grooves each one leading to a different winner.