cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Fashioned medicines

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Old Fashioned medicines

Petlew has reminded me of an old fashioned medicine, in his "nick, ouch" post....
Years ago, (probably about 30) I bought a small jar of Yellow Basilicon Ointment, and I still have it..... It has many uses for me... but in particular, I used it when I had a splinter, or blackthorn, from gardening, which could not be removed with tweezers...or sterile needle... (in the time honoured fashion)... Blackthorn points are particularly nasty, as they break off just under the skin, and are difficult to extract, without some "serious" DIY surgery !... so a small blob of Yellow Basilicon Ointment on a plaster.... leave it for a couple of days, and hey presto, it draws out the thorn/splinter.
My jar is almost empty now.... and well it might be, cos the label says..... Yellow Basilicon Ointment  25g B.P.C.1959  Thornton & Ross Ltd, Huddersfield, England . no expiry date. yet it still works !....
I have asked in local chemists but they just look "blank" as if I am talking a forren language.... "never heard of it.".... "what`s it for"?    "you will have to get a prescription from the doctor"
anyone else got a favourite Old  Fashioned Medicine, that you can`t source?
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Old Fashioned medicines

http://www.earnshawsherbaldispensary.co.uk/shop/yellow-basilicon-ointment.html
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Oooooh!.... Thanks for the linky, Dick..... Wink
a bit more than what I paid for my jar though !... have bookmarked it... just in case I need a "large quantity" in an emergency !  Cheesy
N/A

Yes, I remember clearly that particular product - we always had a tin in the house.  Also Lestrol antiseptic and Fiery Jack ointment (which I still have). 
Friar's Balsam was/is wonderful for clearing a gunged up chest.  I have the Nelson's Inhaler for this very purpose.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

no.... mine is in a little brown jar  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Sounds like the cue for a Glen Miller tune (or nearly anyway)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

any thing to oblige
>
Community Veteran

nowt like a bit of quality music to brighten up the day !....  Smiley
Community Veteran

But back to the topic!! As a kid, my twin brother and I devoured jar after jar of the delicious "Radio Malt" which if not strictly medicine was usually sold at chemists (don't think we had pharmacies in those days) Very like the soft toffee in Cadburys Caramel bars and others like it yummm!!
Best bit was competing to see which one of us would get the almost empty jar to scrape out, kept one of us quiet for ages, if rather sticky.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how old are you Pet  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Malt  Radio Malt was being sold in the UK by the mid-1920s
Community Veteran

Old enough to remember it pierre...
In a form its still available in supermarkets but, mostly sold as an additive for bread usually to make malt loaves etc.
But its not quite the same as the sublime Radio Malt. I recall if Mum couldn't get hold of Radio for any reason, she would purchase another version (probably the equivalent of BP pharmacy products) to which twin and I would turn up our noses in disgust making pukeing noises, while Mum tried to hide the jar and its label.

Murreymints

Hi this could have been written by me, especially the blank look from the chemist lol. Just letting you know I found a company that makes it. Its a bit dear but as i remember lasts forever
http://earnshawsherbaldispensary.co.uk
Community Veteran

@Murreymints  WOW !... you must have trawled very deep for this one... however... your reply is SIX YEARS and eight months too late...

See reply number two on the thread  ! ! ! ...

Welcome to the forum.... now keep up   ! ! !  Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Nice example of necroposting there... Grin

Still, I'll throw Potassium Permanganate into the mix (not that it's hard to find, it's quite readily available!), great stuff as an antibacterial solution for washing veg, treats smelly feet with a good footbath, can be used as a mouthwash (as used by dentists, you know that pink water they use? Yep, potassium permanganate in water! Well, it used to be, not sure about now!), it'll make iffy water reasonably safe to drink, and the best part, with a few drops of glycerine, it makes for a nice firestarter... Smiley