cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Computer accessories

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Old Computer accessories

The recent post asking how many computers people have prompts me to ask the question, How many old computer accessories do you have that are not in use and unlikely to ever be in use again.
On My own list I have, an old black & White computer monitor, hundreds of 5.25 floppy discs, a 800k dual drive double density disk reader & several years of Beebug magazines.
Why do I keep them ? I have no idea perhaps it's a link to the past as I got a lot of pleasure out of them, so in addition to what old computer accessories you have why did you keep them.
26 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Old Computer accessories

I have just managed to dump a load of DVD mag files,  PCAdvisor, Computer shopper, Computor Buyer, PC Plus, All pre 2007, As I am on Win 7 basic,

our Council does at least take them in the Plastic recycle, but had to split it into two sessions, two bags in each, could just about lift them.

The Local RSPCA Charity shop takes the covers, they have somebody who uses them

At least I did not have them in my loft, to collapse on my bed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

My principle is - JIC (just in case)
Although I have no idea why there are 4 disk drives sitting next to me of size 40GB to 160GB non of which work as far as I know
Actually I do know why - I need to wipe the data before disposal and the only way will be to dismantle them or hit them with a dirty great hammer/axe
Not to mention a load of 3.5" floppies which I will never ever use again  Embarrassed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

oh I forgot, still got the 10 3.5 discs to install win 3.1, but dont think I have a drive
Fixes: 125

Up until we moved to our current address last year I had kept my old BBC A3000, hundreds of 3.5 and 5.25 floppies and other BBC related paraphernalia including all BEEBUG and RISC USer magazines.
I also had a 7-year-old hardly-working Illyama CRT monitor kept JIC.
I now wish I hadn't disposed of the BBC stuff as I would have liked to check if it still worked - no reason why it wouldn't. But, then again, if I had kept it it would probably still be untouched in the shed Cheesy
I have loads of PC components like PCI USBs, Firewire and such things which I doubt if I will ever use again. But you never know...
Edit: There was also an external 120MB HDD with the A3000. I remember it cost about £320 back in around 1998. That's around £2.6 per MB Shocked

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

from memory, my first desk top was a packard bell, it had a fantastic large HD  all 25M of it, and it actually run programs as well
just looked at the 3.5 disks, the operating discs for a Toshiba - laptop I think, early 90's
also 15 disks for Serif system
WHY HAVE I GOT THEM?  still its only three smallish boxes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Still have 5 boxes of unused punch cards plus a punch card machine and a serial-adapted paper tape reader for PC and hand driven paper-tape writer.
Alas I couldn't get the punchcard reader in the boot Undecided
Most of the other stuff (old 8088's, green & black monitors, bank of 486's was given away on freecycle).
community
Grafter

I also have loads of computer hardware, so many that It would take an hour to type them
But the one goodie which may come from this thread is that we now know where to look for a forum treasure trove of items which one or more of us may just want !
How about starting a seperate  spot for this? Could even be a specific part of "chit chat".
Just to start the ball rolling, I for example have lots of connector cables which I sometimes think that is just what I've been looking for and didn't realise I already had one!
Incidentally I also have lots of musical instrument interfaces, as in MIDI and electronic keyboard........just to start the ball rolling...does anybody have an unwanted SCSI connector?(for connection of keyboard to PC to store data)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Still got the boxfor my Toshiba, but it has other items in it
A Toshiba 2150 CDS, vintage 1995 - Dos 6.22 and Win  3.11
did it really work?
spec below
IanSn
Grafter

Still have a couple of 50 way SCSI cables sitting here from heaven knows when. Think I used them to daisy-chain a scanner and printer at some point...
Does anyone still have use for these?
I put them up on Freecycle a couple of times but they never went.
Got rid of a few heavy bin bags-ful of floppies earlier this year (landfill unfortunately - that was before council was taking plastic) and gave away half a room-full of old PCs and bulky CRTs.
Still have my old Amiga 500+ (and an external HD) from 1990. Haven't the heart to get rid of it - those were the days  Cry
I wonder if its possible to get a monitor to go with one of these from somewhere, I'd love to see that spring to life again  Cheesy
Not to mention the old Mercury one2one brick, speaking of museum pieces...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Still got my ZX81, 16k RAM pack, ZX Spectrum and some newer stuff kicking about somewhere.  I seem to have no end of PATA hard drives but no working system currently with a PATA interface, I also have a large bag of HP Travan tapes (including several 20GB never even opened).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have an old large data tape, about a 10" reel, 1" wide Ampex, had it since I think early or earlier 90's, I have used about half of it in the Garden for ties,  prestretch the tape to a string size and it wont break
Community Veteran

Well... err... I have 1000s of computer items from the early 1940s up to the present day... well not actually me but at the computer museum I volunteer at (see sig).  Tongue <blatant plug>Well worth a visit</blatant plug>  Smiley
We are always on the lookout for old computer items that people are willing to donate to our collection (we are a charity and have no money to buy any items) , especially the earlier stuff  -  journeys you have a PM as your items I am particularly interested in.
As you can image we have many examples of most of the common stuff (BBC micros, Acorns, Spectrums, Amstrads etc) and a lot of the earlier software and operating system versions but we still get offered many unusual and sometimes unique items that people have stored in basements and attics for many years.
So if you think you have something that we may be interested in send me a PM with details and a pic if possible. If you are not sure I would rather be told and decline it than not know about it.
Sorry to hijack the thread a little but asking is how we get/got a lot of what is on display so I'm not going to miss an opportunity of asking here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Does anyone happen to have any PCI passive backplanes that need to go to a good home where they will get used ?, preferably with only one or maybe two PCI sockets and an ATX 20/24 power connector on it.
I have some old but nice slimline PC cases currently with 386 and 486 motherboards, and a collection of single and dual processor P4 PCI industrial PC cards, and it would be nice to dump the 386/486 motherboards and fit the PCI motherboards into the cases - but it is just the problem of physically mounting and getting power onto these PCI cards that is my problem.  I could buy new passive backplanes but the cost is prohibitive, and nothing suitable has appeared on eBay for a couple of years.
Something like -
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Peter
Sorry to hijack the thread a little but asking is how we get/got a lot of what is on display so I'm not going to miss an opportunity of asking here.

As it's Chit Chat Peter, I don't think it counts as hijacking.
I never really noticed your signature link to National Museum of Computinghttp://www.tnmoc.co.uk/ before, certainly sounds worth a visit.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.