cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, who suggested it? Own up!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ok, who suggested it? Own up!!

Someone, on one of these posts, suggested leaving the door to the loft open to allow air to circulate and cool the house down. I thought "great idea - I'll try that". So I did.
It was really hot, so I opened the hatch and went to bed with a window open too. Nice and cool.
Then I woke up in the middle of the night, and having drunk a lot in the heat, I needed a pee.  I managed to walk into the hanging hatch, totally forgetting it was there. I now have a lovely black eye. Cry
Thanks!!  Angry
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Ok, who suggested it? Own up!!

Ouch  Cry
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

It works best if you have an old fashioned hatch that lifts up and stays well out of the way of stray eyeballs... Grin
Kremmen
Rising Star

I do that but I have a gate hook that just leaves it about 6" open on the hinge.
Reminds me, must do that for this coming week or I'll melt.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran

Sorry DB it was me who suggested it to you Sad
I haven't had to lift my loft hatch yet. I'm finding with the windows open that it cool enough to sleep at present.
Kremmen
Rising Star

Let us know how you get on Tue and Wed  Lips are sealed
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Must be something about our attic but it's a lot warmer in there during the summer than in the rest of the house as I know to my cost when changing a washer in the cold water tank.
Community Veteran

Yes, that's how it works. The hot air rises into the loft and replaced with cooler air in the house.
Community Veteran

That and the roof tends to be receiving a lot of heat from the sun so the tiles act like a storage radiator, soaking up heat on one side and releasing it on the other, resulting in a toasty attic... Shocked