cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok lets do this again...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Ok lets do this again...

It's 19:45 and almost completely dark outside.
Soon the clocks will go back and make the UK just as draconian as ever...
So.. before we get there, lets start the debate early this year and see if we can get it scrapped once and for all.. at least for england. If scotland wants to keep it then we are today well educated enough that people can cope with two time zones.

So.. Do you think that England should finally get rid of the depressingly dark winter evenings? Maybe we should do what Kim Jong has done and have a timezone half way up the UK that is half an hour between Scotland and England? - We are well educated enough to cope with this... even if Westminster think we can't be trusted with our own votes...
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Ok lets do this again...

what about the north of england? or northern ireland?
or are you speaking on behalf of the whole of the UK ?\
i'm sure you're well educated enough to cope with 60 mins of darkness.
Community Veteran

I did suggest differing timezones for those the hourly change benefits  Roll eyes
Fixes: 47

There is someone who benefits from this crazy messing with the clocks? Huh Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
I did suggest differing timezones for those the hourly change benefits  Roll eyes

no, you were specifically singling out scotland.
here's and idea, why don't you just set your watch to whatever time you want it to be, i'm sure you're educated enough to be able to handle that.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If you want light earlier in your day, wake up later, if you want light later in the evening, wake up earlier, don't fiddle with other people's clocks to accomplish the task of causing people difficulty in adjusting between the time changes... Roll eyes
GMT is good enough for me, infact, all my manually-set clocks have stayed on GMT all through the summer, so BST hasn't had any effect on me, aside from all my computer0based clocks being wrong...
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
no, you were specifically singling out scotland.

It's 19:45 and almost completely dark outside.
Soon the clocks will go back and make the UK just as draconian as ever...
So.. before we get there, lets start the debate early this year and see if we can get it scrapped once and for all.. at least for england. If scotland wants to keep it then we are today well educated enough that people can cope with two time zones.

So.. Do you think that England should finally get rid of the depressingly dark winter evenings? Maybe we should do what Kim Jong has done and have a timezone half way up the UK that is half an hour between Scotland and England? - We are well educated enough to cope with this... even if Westminster think we can't be trusted with our own votes...
7up

Chenks,
In what part of that did I take a swipe at Scotland? It is well known that for you scots that GMT works for you. For us down here it isn't so great and so why should WE have to have the same timezone? - You are more than welcome to keep your existing arrangements - what you guys do is down to you.. but why do you think because I'm suggesting england does its own thing, do you think I'm "singling out scotland" ?  Huh
To keep everyone sweet I even suggested three timezones so that we have something that works for everybody.
So again, tell me, how on earth am I singling out scotland?
For any other scots people reading this thread, I am not trying to threaten your time zone, I am merely trying to suggest that england has its own seperate one in the winter months - something that works for everyone.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
There is someone who benefits from this crazy messing with the clocks? Huh Crazy

Who's that then? - Or did you mean "Is there..." ?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We've (for as long as I can remember) stayed on GMT.
(we used to keep cattle, everything revolved around 'milking time' which didn't change and was set to GMT)
Community Veteran

some research needs to be done about the long term psychological damage done to sleep-deprived people whose body clocks never adjust to this stupid fad.
pick a time and stick to it.
Community Veteran

Chenks,
In what part of that did I take a swipe at Scotland? It is well known that for you scots that GMT works for you. For us down here it isn't so great and so why should WE have to have the same timezone? - You are more than welcome to keep your existing arrangements - what you guys do is down to you.. but why do you think because I'm suggesting england does its own thing, do you think I'm "singling out scotland" ?  Huh

can you not even read your own post?

you are clearly trying to suggest that the change of clocks from GMT+1 back to GMT is due to Scotland.
it should be noted that the current timezone of GMT+1 is actually the modified one and GMT is the non-adjusted one (the one we will be moving back to shortly).
Community Veteran

Sigh...
Chenks,
In what part of that did I take a swipe at Scotland? It is well known that for you scots that GMT works for you. For us down here it isn't so great and so why should WE have to have the same timezone? - You are more than welcome to keep your existing arrangements - what you guys do is down to you.. but why do you think because I'm suggesting england does its own thing, do you think I'm "singling out scotland" ?  Huh

can you not even read your own post?

GMT... as in Winter time. We're currently in BST. When we hit GMT, clocks go BACK and evenings get DARKER.
Yes I said if Scotland wants to keep it.. because as i understand it, we switched to this system for scotlands benefit because the scottish mornings were so dark. So why am I at fault for suggesting that scotland should keep it if we english abandon it?

you are clearly trying to suggest that the change of clocks from GMT+1 back to GMT is due to Scotland.

As above.. as I understand it, if we didn't go back, scottish mornings would be very dark - until around 9am. Nowhere in that sentence have i blamed the scots. I have simply stated a fact - if you take that offensively then i apologise because it was not intended to wind you up and that was why i said that scotland should stick to it if they wanted.
I think the real gripe here is that you are anti english doing their own thing.
it should be noted that the current timezone of GMT+1 is actually the modified one and GMT is the non-adjusted one (the one we will be moving back to shortly).

I am aware of that  Roll eyes
EDIT: Just to clear up any confusion, I was taking a mild jab at the scots (or rather their leaders) in the refugee poll topic.. but that stays there. I am not anti scotland. I hope that clears this up.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Strat

Who's that then? - Or did you mean "Is there..." ?

My sentence stands as it is. It's all down to the way you read it...with the question mark at the end of the text Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I wasn't entirely sure to be honest strat... thats why i asked!
Clearly a misunderstanding on my part. (hint chenks, hint)
Steve
Pro

Do you speak for the north of England too? permanent BST would be pretty bleak in winter in much of the North of England too or am I wrong?
I think the real gripe here is that you are anti english doing their own thing.
And that is rich coming from you,  you are the only one I ever read on this forum having a dig at us up here anti English? pfft I don't think so matey.