cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok Shutter: something for the weekend (nod nod, wink wink)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ok Shutter: something for the weekend (nod nod, wink wink)

This was the one I was going to post. Odd we should both (Shutter and I) come up with transport related posts...perhaps we're telepathic...spooky!
From the earliest days of the Victorian “Boneshaker” and “Penny Farthing” through to the latest Japanese super bikes, two wheel transport has been with us.
But if we ignore the last couple of hundred years and found the bicycle invented today for the first time, it’s my guess that the Health ‘n’ Safety police would stifle development to the point that they would never get onto the roads. Can you think of any other things that we take for granted that would not get past Health and Safety nowadays? I will immediately throw in air travel.
I speak as someone who never owned a motorbike (only because my parents flatly refused to sign the hire purchase on my behalf) I lusted after a Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader, but spent a lot of time on the back of a Velocette 500cc Venom as a pillion passenger, charging up and down on the famous North London Ace Café to the Busy Bee run, with which I used to share the running costs with it’s owner (not an awful lot in those days) My dad owned an Ariel Square 4 with a sidecar…dreadful thing, which scared the life out of my mother.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Ok Shutter: something for the weekend (nod nod, wink wink)

HO hO HO..... Yeah, I reckon riding a sidecar must be the scaryiest thing going, especially when doing some "nifty" overtaking of a huge lorry !  Huh
Perhaps the only thing I can think of as a mode of transport that had a minor health and safety  problem was    TITANIC .....  Embarrassed

And  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  for those that lost their lives because of it.
As you know, I am an ex- matelot, so have great sympathy for any loss of life at sea.
Community Veteran

You're right, I (and my twin brother) were very young at the time, but I have vague recollections of going on holiday to north Devon (from NW London) packed into the sidecar with Mum on the pillion, in the most appalling weather, Mum swore this turned her hair white overnight. This was long before motorways or even dual carriageways were much thought about (or compulsory crash helmets) And if you think the road surfaces are bad now...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Yes, and I remember the roads you went along too ...... oooooooooooch Undecided
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have two experiences of trips from Essex to Devon and Motor bikes,
The first was I should think about 1950, in the sidecar about halfway ther the Corks failed in the Clutch, sat at the side of the road whilst the clutch was taken apart and new corks installed.
The Second, on the way to Torquay in my Delux Transport, a Anglia Van, I think cost under £500 new, all I could afford, had a secondhand bus seat in the back, probably the Gestapo would object at that.
Anyway, ther I was at a set of Treaffic lights in Exeter minding by own businees when got rammed by a Motor bike right in the middle of the back door, all I could hear was the bike driver swearing like mad, he had a luggage carrier on his fuel tank and he didnt stop as quick as his bike. Oh Happy days  Lips are sealed Cry
Community Veteran

Pssssttt!! we've got an interloper in the weekend section...asking questions about firewalls.

Community Veteran

must setup the firewall to prevent that  ..... health and safety rule number one....... no serious (except for petlew) posts in chit chat on the weekend..... Angry  Angry  Angry 
jmd
Grafter

well, I went out one night to a dance and got a lift back with a lad on the back of his motorbike.................
I was that scared and hung on so tight to his trouser waist band that I cause the zip or buttons or whatever to open and I found myself hanging onto his.......................................... underpants [you thought I was going to say something else then didn't you Cheesy Grin Cheesy] and when he stopped suddenly I found myself sitting on  the ground having let go!!
I have never ventured onto a motorbike again................................. Roll eyes
the next boy I went out with had a old van that the passenger seat moved about so you were in danger of finding yourself in back of van when it stopped suddenly....................
Community Veteran

Ok, Ok...I'm not apologising for the serious post, it does seem to have struck a chord with some, I'll do better next weekend...promise.

jmd
Grafter

Quote from: petlew
Pssssttt!! we've got an interloper in the weekend section...asking questions about firewalls.

strange the moderators haven't shift it to the forum about computers or broadband ? Huh
Community Veteran

the next boy I went out with had a old van that the passenger seat moved about so you were in danger of finding yourself in back of van when it stopped suddenly....................

What fun.............. Cheesy the mind boggles    Shocked
How many journeys did you make with him? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?      Wink  Wink  
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
[
How many journeys did you make with him? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?      Wink  Wink  

not many, he was just useful for lifts [he  also  had hairy arms]........................... at time I belonged to something called "DavyhulmeEighteenPlus" and we used to go to dances at various other 18Plus groups in other parts of Manchester/Lancashire
Community Veteran

Quote from: jmd
Quote from: petlew

strange the moderators haven't shift it to the forum about computers or broadband ? Huh

Don`t be daft............ moderators aren`t allowed this far down the forum list..... cos we`re "off topic" so any visits by them would be a contravention of their own rules..... so they have to do it "surreptitously" and in plain clothes, so we don`t recognise them.... Cool  Cool Cool   Cool  Cool   Cool   (is that 6 moderators with sunglasses on? ) Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin
jmd
Grafter

Smiley  Back to journeys; 1977 - my first car was a little bright red Fiat 126.  I learnt to drive in it.  My first  driving instructor was rather large and found it very difficult to extricate himself  from the car after a couple of lessons so he decided he would no longer teach me.  So the requirements for my next driving instructor were very precise - he had to be slim and be under 5'4"! Roll eyes
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: PJ
Quote from: jmd

Cool

oh gosh Shutter - a moderator has peeped in our discussion and taken Action at this time of Night! :: Shocked Shocked Shocked