Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok I was wrong!!

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Ok I was wrong!!

Quote from: nadger
We were going from Bedfordshire to Huddersfield a while ago and the warning signs were saying that M1 was closed both ways south of Sheffield.
I pulled into next service station and plotted a route,  with the old 3" per mile that took us round the blockage and back onto M1 - I left motorway early on the assumption that most would leave it too late.
That's something that sat nav can't do for you albeit I wish that I'd could have afforded sat nav when I was busy with my sameday courier service - I used to print off locations using Multimap.

The sat nav would have coped with the closure.  If you continued on that route – you would have reached the closure and there would have been a turn off point to leave that road.  Within a few seconds, the “voice” would have stated “Recalculating”, and you would have carried on the journey to reach your final destination.
I was recently travelling on a dual carriageway – early Saturday morning with little traffic.  Unbeknown to me, there had been an accident and both lanes on “my side” were blocked.  There was a solitary Police Diversion sign.  Turned left and was shortly in open countryside – but I was lost!  The sat nav recalculated – and, after a few miles, rejoined the dual carriageway and reached my destination.  No probs!

Highlighted
Grafter

just done a trip along M4 to the western end, lots of road works around Cardiff Swansea area, Sat Nav did offer diversion, but the alternative nav SWMBO couldnt see any suitable road, so kept going - Mistake, who knows? 
Then from Caerfyrddin to Aberteifi (Carmarthen to Cardigan to you and I) it said leave main road and go up this B road, again SWMBO said her brain in outer space, so stayed on main road - mistake again B road  was straight main all stwisty andup and down
Views from Hotel bedroom
Highlighted
Rising Star

Quote from: Javert

The sat nav would have coped with the closure.  If you continued on that route – you would have reached the closure and there would have been a turn off point to leave that road.  Within a few seconds, the “voice” would have stated “Recalculating”, and you would have carried on the journey to reach your final destination.
Problem when motorways close is the several mile long jam before the turn off point. As I was happily driving round my diversion route they were quoting a 5 mile tail back over radio and this was on a Sunday.
As I've said, I'm not anti sat nav but I managed my first 50 years of motoring without one  Cool

Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: nadger

As I've said, I'm not anti sat nav but I managed my first 50 years of motoring without one  Cool

Me too!  Though I must stress I haven't done quite that many years motoring - but I'm catching up to you!  Roll_eyes
For me, a sat nav is an aid to motoring - nothing more, nothing less.  I travel alone, so I don't have to preplan a journey - or worry about which exit I take at a big roundabout.  As for these idiots you read about in the press - who drive into the river, or onto a railway line - because, they say, the sat nav told them to, aren't fit to be driving anyway.  (I'll get off my soapbox now!)
John
Highlighted
Rising Star

My self build sat nav ( phone running Windoze + bluetooth gps receiver) has proved useful a couple of times but these days I rarely go to places I don't know - even applies to trip to France & Belgium next week.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ok, I've eaten large dollops of humble-pie, and prostrated myself before you, so enough of that (see OP)...After a week in the wild rain-torn depths of East and South Devon's byways, the sat-nav got plenty of use, only once trying to send me the wrong way into a one-way street in Seaton (thats been like it for 4 years to my knowledge, and maybe longer) . I have returned completely sold on them. After nearly 40 years of driving, I found myself left to get on with the driving, without worrying about the direction finding (my dear wife, even before the stroke was always lost outside our front door, so have never been able to delegate that particular task)
I do though have a question for the sat-nav experts among you;
How accurate is the speed display? I constantly found myself getting 70mph warnings (yeah, I know I can turn them off) when the car speedo was reading visibly below 70, or put another way, sat-nav showed 70mph, when the speedo showed 72-74, speeds at which Traffic will nick you, which should I rely on in court (joke!!! 'onest')
Does this just highlight the inherent inaccuracy of car speedo's, or is the sat-nav display not real-time?
It'll probably be a while before I meet up with my tame traffic-cop to ask his opinion.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Satnavs will show your speed with a few seconds delay.
However, I have noticed exactly the same thing when using mine - even when I had two satnavs active at one time (don't ask ;))
Inherently I think speedometers are less accurate, due to various factors (tyre inflation levels, wear and tear etc.) but GPs are actually more accurate - although I would love some definitive answers myself!
B.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

If I remember correctly speedometers are rated to be accurate to +0 / -10% (by which I meant that when reading 70mph you will be doing anything from 63.5 mph to 70mph) which means that they will usually read over the true speed. Satnav's work by the doppler effect from the satellites and most GPS manufacturers generally quote 0.1 MPH accuracy on flat ground, at constant speed and direction for several seconds and with a good sat lock. So it should be more accurate but note the bit about level ground. If you are going down a hill it will under read (Pythagoras) on a 1 in 5 hill by about 10%. So going down a hill at 70mph on the GPS and you could be doing 77mph  Embarrassed if there is a speed camera
Edit - silly typo corrected and clarified - thanks Pierre
Highlighted
Grafter

As an ex tester of experimental vehicle it was one of my jobs to calibrate speedometers
The Construction and use regulations now specify minus 0 to plus 10% error, it used to be plus or minus. 10%
I have a calibrated speedo on my car and can vouch that my Sat Nav is spot on accurate, my car speedo
Indicated TRUE
30 27
40 36.6
50 46.8
60 56.6
70 66.2

Distance

32.2 32.1
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I got one which is 10 yrs out of date but even so when we bought the car it got us all the way home from stoke on trent with no problem! Its a great system and I love it to bits!
Sat nav is brilliant. The only snag is I go out of town so rarely I never use it! Rather pointless really but still handy to have just in case...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Grafter

petlew:
Think that the idea behind the “speed warning” is to make you aware that you are, in fact, approaching the speed restriction.  My machine beeps at me as a warning – and I can be at anything from 5 to 10 mph below the maximum in that area.  I’d rather have a reminder in advance of the speed, than being told when I’ve reached the maximum allowed - and gone past the speed camera too fast!  Smiley
I think that the main problem with sat navs is the maps they have which are out-of-date.  But then the road atlas I have in the boot claims to be the “2000 Edition” – bet the maps were not that up-to-date!
Highlighted
Grafter

to settle the arguments, I have a Gisteq Photo Tracker, this records a trip and then imports your photos and add the location to the Exif info in the picture.  Side benefits also records speed and location

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Javert

I’d rather have a reminder in advance of the speed, than being told when I’ve reached the maximum allowed - and gone past the speed camera too fast!  Smiley
I think that the main problem with sat navs is the maps they have which are out-of-date. 

I'm inclined to agree with you there, unfortunately my Navman tells me at 71mph that I'm exceeding.
Curiously, on the M25 (both ways in the same spot) just about half-way between the M4 and M40 I got a 30mph warning, I think its probably to do with the road under the bridgework there rather than the M25. On the return journey Friday, I couldn't possibly have been exceeding either speed, as we were caught up in that traffic jam caused by the "fathers rights" protester unfurling a banner from a gantry (I have very carefully made no comment about his protest)

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Grafter

Yes that was a right pain, got there about 3:01:55, doing 52mph wanted to go clockwise on M25 but coudnt because the slip road was full of cars trying to go anti clock.
Not surprised you got 30 speed warning there, rather a lot of cameras
Edit just checked my trace
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre

Yes that was a right pain, got there about 4

What a small world pierre, it was just about 4ish we were on that stretch of the M25, and going clockwise to J20. the queue was backed up down the M3. considered going straight on to Staines, but left it too late.
Wave next time!!