cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok I was wrong!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ok I was wrong!!

Throughout life, I've always made it my policy, that if I had made a mistake, said something wrong etc. I am always first in the queue to admit my error, never been shy of confessing.
My confession in this case concerns Sat-Nav.
As a younger man, I was an enthusiastic walker, and orienter, owning a large collection of 1:25000 scale Ordnance Survey maps, which I consider almost works of art. In short, I know how to read a map and compass. My wife and I (prior to her stroke) thought nothing of tramping 15 to 20 miles a day cross country.
Since their introduction some years ago, I have spent many happy hours arguing the case for maps and atlas's over Sat-Nav (and I might add spending quite some time parked in lay-by's pouring over a map to check my directions) and generally deriding Sat-Nav as at best a waste of money..."get a life, learn to read a map"
For the first time in years, we were passengers in somebody else's car last week-end, en-route to an obscure address in darkest Wiltshire, which was equipped with Sat-Nav. For the first ten minutes, I was as usual quite vocal in my derision of the Sat-Nav my friend -the driver- was fully aware of my opinion, and said nothing, by half-way, I was completely entranced, by the time we arrived totally sold on Sat-Nav, it being able to deliver us to the door, using a route (better) that I wouldn't have thought of.
So, I stand before you, in sack-cloth and ashes, head hanging in shame, admitting I was wrong, and apologising to those in these forums I've gently castigated for supporting Sat-Nav's the proud owner of a low-spec NavMan S30, if I like it much as I think I might, I might well upgrade to an all singing all dancing model at a later date.
PS. this is not the product that was discussed in "Annoyed at Comet" topic.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
30 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Ok I was wrong!!

I don't have one because I don't drive to places I can't find often enough.
I do confess to borrowing one when I feel the need though.
geewizz
Grafter

I'm a recent novice to sat-nav systems. I too was surprised to find how useful it was to have this little tool on the dashboard.
I view them in the same way as I view calculators. They're great if you have one and they will do the job well but I wouldn't rely on them completely. They're both useful gadgets but no substitute for using your noddle. Both need to be used with caution and the results they throw out should be checked because the inputs of both machines are prone to human error.
Don't throw out your maps yet.
nadger
Rising Star

We were going from Bedfordshire to Huddersfield a while ago and the warning signs were saying that M1 was closed both ways south of Sheffield.
I pulled into next service station and plotted a route,  with the old 3" per mile that took us round the blockage and back onto M1 - I left motorway early on the assumption that most would leave it too late.
That's something that sat nav can't do for you albeit I wish that I'd could have afforded sat nav when I was busy with my sameday courier service - I used to print off locations using Multimap.
Community Veteran

When I did the Dumball Rally, our squadron (of which we were in charge :O) didn't have a SatNav between them.
We managed to get all the way from Brussels to Corfu with only a couple of minor mishaps.  (Look, it was a ring road and that factory was worth having a second look at, alright!?)
Some of the other squadrons relied upon the satnav, which caused some more "interesting" detours in places like Albania and Macedonia, where the roads don't "quite" follow what the SatNav expects.
They're good for a backup, but don't trust them implicitly Smiley
The newer ones will sync, via your phone, to a central traffic database and can route you in realtime around traffic problems.  That sort of functionality makes them start to be more appealing Smiley
B.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have a slightly older Navman N20, that I got as an end of line for just under £100, it came with a traffic management add on that take the info via RDS radio, you can make it give you auto detours, OK but we were going "Past" Glasgow to Greenock from the M74, nearly rush hour it came up M74 blocked turn off at Junction 7 trouble was we were alongside J7, after a huge amount of diversion we eventually reached our destination, after that switched off auto detour and said just tell me.  The routing is very good, also I have up to date (Twice a month) Safety Camera notification
Fixes: 102

Quote from: nadger
That's something that sat nav can't do for you albeit I wish that I'd could have afforded sat nav when I was busy with my sameday courier service - I used to print off locations using Multimap.

I have SmartNav from Traffic Master which plans your route based on traffic levels and will also re-route you mid journey should there be a need to do so.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I feel better now...
There are a number of options for Sat-Nav that are not available on the basic model I've got; bluetooth, traffic avoidance systems etc. that were working on the machine (Tom Tom) I was watching on Saturday last. I'm reserving judgment on the necessity of those for the time being. I did however, prefer the wide-screen view of the Tom Tom, over the smaller screen I have, its more likely that that may push me to upgrade rather extra facilities.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I've had one for a while.  I mainly use it when we're going from ours (Liverpool) to the in-laws (Chichester).  I know the route to go, but prefer to have it on incase there are traffic problems and we need an alternative, and also to give me a rough idea of how far/long is left to go.  I also feel a bit safer with it when the mrs is out on her own and doesn't know the area she is at.  Plus it also helps me!  A couple of times when she had to drive to some universities some distance away for a research project, she'd get lost using the map printed from multimap and would phone me.  I then needed to work out where she was from descriptions of what's around, signs, road names etc...  Find her position on multimap and guide her to where she needed to be!
Phil
Fixes: 47

There is one built in to the PDA I bought a couple of years ago however, like James_H I don't seem to visit unknown places.
I do like the idea of Traffic Avoidance as mentioned by Petlew which would have come in useful a couple of years ago when I ran into the back of a lorry  Embarrassed
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Note seen on back of lorry,  Air bags tested here Cheesy Cheesy
Fixes: 47

Everybody's a comedian Angry  Wink  Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

My SatNav is currently hurtling down several Italian mountains on a mountain bike.... unfortuneately I'm not with it (My sisters boyfriend has borrowed it for 2 weeks  Sad)
My SatNav was invaluable in my previous job as a computer service engineer, in getting me to many unknown destinations, without any real thought which made travelling between jobs so much easier. Without it I would have been constantly looking at maps and getting lost and turning up frustrated and annoyed, especially if I was late.
Contrary to what has been said earlier, many do now have options to find alternative routes around points in the journey, like missing several junctions on the M1, and some come with or can have added traffic information which allows the route to be ajusted automatically.
I have found my SatNav invaluable in making many journeys worry free and even more so when going on driving holidays around the UK and europe - My TomTom 710 has maps of Europe as standard - I can pre-plan my destination and at any tine deviate when I see something interesting, knowing I can get back on track very easily - makes holidays much more fun!
So I'm certainly in favour of them, even with some of the quirks.
Loombucket
Grafter

I'm not convinced about the aftermarket SAT/NAVs - of necessity too small and prone to losing signal - but the unit I have built into my Jaguar is invaluable.
Socking great 7" screen, DVD database and a gorgeous voice guiding me that sounds like Samantha Bond.  Oh, and it's never screwed up, either.
Cool
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my first one, about 94 0r 5 was a Magellan navigator with an RS 232 output to a laptop an MS autoroute, did use it for a trip from the heel of Italy up into Zell An See in Austria, Bomb aiming a fleet of Transits up the Autostrada, Around Bologna, I was Driving and the  "Observor" missed the service area where we were going to have lunch and change drivers, rest of Party not amused Roll eyes Embarrassed