Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil filters.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Oil filters.

Needed or not, I tend to change the oil filter on my cars each year and before another wet and windy winter sets in.

Easy enough job in the past, just drain off, perhaps flushing oil, and then top up with the new - after screwing in a new filter of course. In the old days ashamed to say nobody was that bothered about what happened to the drained off oil but now we are more aware, and now that's the problem.

What do you do with the old oil?

My only solution and allowing for my age is to get the local one man band garage guy to do it all. Saves my old back, saves me getting stuck under the car, and saves me having to find a home for all that gunk I've drained off. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
16 REPLIES 16
Longliner
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Oil filters.

Suggest you try the local council. I too give the job to someone else these days but I used to take the old oil to the council amenity centre (please don't call it the dump, they become very upset). Their bulk tank and those of garages are emptied by oil recovery companies which process it to remove solids and recycle it as oil fuel, most of which goes to fire asphalt plant for roadmaking. The old filters are opened, the oil removed and the metal casing goes to recycling.

No scrapyards these days -- they are vehicle recycling companies and must conform to strict legislation on disposal of oils, tyres etc.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

There is a council dump near where we live, well organised with a number of sheds marked for tyres, batteries and car oil.

Always done the job myself but if you buy a decent filter eg:K&N or similar and use synthetic oil the cost is not much different to what a garage would charge, I think it’s around £60….double that if you go to the main agents.

So quite right, do you want to be rolling around under your car at our age, like you I will likely take it in next time to get the job done, last year we got someone in to decorate a room, first time in my life, guess you have to accept these things, like failing hearing, eyesight etc…

We are born into history and history is born into us.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

@Minivanman 

I just put it in a suitable container and take it to the local 'Household Waste and Recycling Centre' where there is a large tank for tipping it into, although it can be hanging around for a while until I make a visit.

If you haven't got an empty oil container to transport it in, I find those 2L bleach bottles are quite rugged.

To make the job of catching the oil as it drains easier, I've got one of those oil drain pans similar to this although mine has a screw-cap for the end of the spout to make accidental spilling even more fool-proof.  (Read the description down the page for further info on the 'convenience factors').  Far better than an old washing up bowl or similar!

You can also get a different type which is in the form of a container with a built in tray on one side to catch the oil, which then drains into the container through a plug-able hole for transportation. Buyer/user beware!

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 201

It reminds me of what happened in the old days. I once had a car pre mot test that used so much oil I never changed it. In fact all my mates used to give me their old oil, at about 100 miles to the pint I soon ‘disposed’ of it for them.

Then there was our local garage who had two uses for it. For a small fee they would mix it with paraffin and spray the underside of your corroding car with it. It would smell for a bit from the coating on the exhaust system and you were advised not to park on your drive until it had stopped dripping! The rest of the old oil was fed to a modified pressure jet central heating boiler, which spluttered a bit but kept the workshop cozy warm during the winter.

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

@Minivanman wrote:

Needed or not, I tend to change the oil filter on my cars each year and before another wet and windy winter sets in.

Not sure if that is a question in bold .....  but definitely needed.... and definitely need to be changed at the manufacturers scheduled service intervals.

Diesels .... most definitely... as I found out the hard  ( and very expensive,) way...

had an old banger of a Montego 2ltr estate... been driving it for a couple of years.i.. toured Wales , north to south and east to west, quite a lot..in the third year. went up to Scotland for a couple of weeks..touring around..

.... a couple of weeks after getting back home... was out for a short drive locally, when

BANG.!  sudden stop, lots of smoke and clattering noises. ! 

2 pistons through the side of the engine block. !.

Ever since then.. I have made sure that the oil and filter on my Skoda`s, has been changed at 10,000 miles, by my tame mechanic.... he disposes of all the oil and the filter.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Your local recycling centre will have a tub to pour it in to. Failing that dilute with a lot of parrafin and use it for waterproofing your fence panels - naturaly before winter sets in next month.....!

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Go to Halfords and get a black used oil draining can / tray. You lay it down, pull the plug, the sludge falls out onto it and drains into the inside through a hole. Wipe clean, plug it up then take it to the local recycling centre - ours has a big used oil tank.

Many mechanics / engineers burn it to keep their workshops warm. Not politically correct these days obviously but also not illegal (yet).

If you have any oil spills on the tarmac / asphalt, i've been tipped off to a very good trick to getting rid of it - i've tried it and it worked a treat. Get some cheap washing up liquid, pour over the oil stains and then scrub it in with a stiff brush - really scrub it in (eg walk round the stains in a circle while scrubbing). Make sure it gets covered well from all directions. That's it. Leave it. The rain will take care of the rest another day (do this at least 2-3 days before it's due). The washing up liquid breaks down the oil but also sinks further down and breaks up the oil there too. Then it rains and the broken up remains which have been destroyed are simply washed away.

Our residents car park had two big stains that a neighbour left. Nice enough guy but he had no intent of dealing with it even when i mentioned it to him. So i cracked on in the spirit of neighbourly relations (and to be fair it made a good test patch for the massive oil spill my motor has also left lol). It rained 2 days later and now you can barely see where the stains were. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran

I think Leicester city/county council, have a local bye-law, about oil on the highway, from dirty, leaking car/van/lorry engines.... and the owner can be fined, as well as get a bill for cleaning it up...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@shutter 

Needed or not was meant to mean that even if the oil was not black, sticky and obviously past it's change by date then to change it and that filter anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really hadn't thought about taking it to the 'recycling centre' but as @RobPN said and given my centre is a 60 mile round trip it could be hanging around for a while.

Anyways, I'll leave it to my local garage guy - so oils well that ends well. 😋

Now where did I leave my car keys?

"Wife!"

Thomas A. Edison
RobPN
Hero

I wouldn't be surprised if some garages / motor factors have re-cycling tanks, so if you stick your postcode in here @Minivanman , there may be somewhere closer.

http://www.oilbankline.org.uk/

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

OK, lets squeeze this one here as it's about cars.

I have recently bought a Suzuki Alto and it's the first car I've had that has a cable release mechanism for the petrol cap. The lever for this (along with one for the boot release) is down by the side of the front seat seat.

All fine... until that cable snaps when perhaps running empty and wanting to fill up with petrol. 

Done the internet round but nothing found other than somebody saying there is (another?) release mechanism "under the trim" - but where the heck might that be!

It is a concern obviously but also, I remember when back in the day Vauxhall Viva's used to suffer from snapped clutch cables (the end nipple would come off)  so it was always prudent and like fan belts of old to have one in the boot of the car as a spare as they can be replaced roadside.

Beep beep. 🙂

Thomas A. Edison
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Update re: above and having had a hunt round nothing found but, I have found a Suzuki owners forum and asked on there... so fingers crossed. 

Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran

I was going to suggest the Suzuki Owners forum..... BRISKODA is an excellent source of information for any SKODA owners... and I have used it several times... well worth keeping that SUZUKI one bookmarked..... just in case..

@Minivanman   You might be able to "bodge"/adapt something from this range.... and do away with the cable altogether...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=push+to+open+catch&_sac...

not sure if the "magnet" type would work inside the petrol cap cover door... plastic type would probably be best.. you could use ARALDITE to fix, so would not need to do any drilling....

RobPN
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

I have recently bought a Suzuki Alto and it's the first car I've had that has a cable release mechanism for the petrol cap. The lever for this (along with one for the boot release) is down by the side of the front seat seat.

All fine... until that cable snaps when perhaps running empty and wanting to fill up with petrol. 

Done the internet round but nothing found other than somebody saying there is (another?) release mechanism "under the trim" - but where the heck might that be!

@Minivanman 

In the meantime whilst the release cable is still working it'd probably be a good idea to make sure the mechanism and flap -hinge are well lubricated (not with standard WD40), and examine the mechanism inside the flap to see how it's held closed and how you might be able to release it with a suitable thin tool to push into the gap around the flap.