Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil based primers and paints

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Oil based primers and paints

I must be looking in all the wrong places, but can anybody tell where I can buy oil based primer and paint?

Picked up a couple of sorry looking old cast iron bench ends that need to tarting up.

Cheers Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Oil based primers and paints

Dunno what base this is.... but it came up with a google search for  "Dulux metal paint"

https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/view-product/dulux-trade-metalshield-gloss  

of course you can always use  "Hammerite"... 

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Does the paint/primer have to be oil based? I did mine last year with smooth Hammerite from spray cans. They still look great. Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

this would be my first thought http://www.hammerite.co.uk/

Minivanman
Hero

Thanks both, and have tried Hammerite @Pete11 in the past and never had much luck with it plus it seems overpriced for the amount you get.

Really wanted and double coat of oil based paints as they seem best suit to cast iron.... but not easy to find. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

In that case, B&Q have decent range of colours as do Homebase.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
maranello
Aspiring Pro

Screwfix also have a range of paints similar to Hammerite, but cheaper.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Minivanman
Hero

Thanks @Oldjim just picking up on that brand now as it happens after a bit of searching but crikey, it's expensive stuff! 

Community Veteran

It's easy to tell which paint is oil based. If it says clean the brush with white spirit it's oil based, if it says clean with water, it's water based.

JayG
Aspiring Pro

If you choose Hammerite, use a cheap brush and throw it away afterwards - only Hammerite thinners will clean them and are nearly as expensive as the paint! Crazy2

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed @JayG and not just Hammerite but any oil based paint - especially with brushes being so cheap these days. Problem with Hammerite though is that you need a decent brush if you want to avoid more hairs dropping out than you get off a Jack Russell!

Minivanman
Hero

Checking around to see how best to restore those bench ends (never to old to learn new tricks) and amazingly the first picture I see is of the exact same bench. How cool is that?

The first job is how to strip all the old paint off as the detail is amazing so well worth doing but, do I use a chemical stripper or burn it off with a blow torch?

Methinks the latter.... so watch this space. Smiley

0812diy-restore-garden-bench1.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

My first choice would be Hammerite then International Marine paint, but that might change subject to colour availability.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If burning off... you need to remove the wooden slats first.... to ensure you don`t scorch them... also make it easier to reach into those awkward corners with the blow torch.

then you need to use a good rotary wire brush to remove most of the flaking and debris...

then use a manual wire brush, to make sure it is clean.. 

you could prime and paint it, and  depending on your skill with a small ( pencil type artists brush ).  do the "details" in a bold contrasting colour.. 

OR  ...

you could just use a marine varnish type finish... after touching in the "details"  in white, leaving the "bare" metal exposed.  (under the varnish of course )...