Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil Tanker Hijacked?

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Oil Tanker Hijacked?

The daily express is reporting that an oil tanker has been hijacked by stowaways near the Isle of Wight..The police and coast guard are dealing with it.Shocked

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1352091/isle-of-wight-oil-tanker-emergency-hampshire-police-incide...

20 REPLIES 20
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Oil Tanker Hijacked?

I expect it's just a simple misunderstanding.

Several hundred "refugees" just got tired of waiting for a rubber boat.

billnotben
Community Veteran

I had a couple of friends who decided on a career of a maritime nature.

Ended very badly for one as he came down with a normally curable disease that wasn't so curable in the middle of the ocean. The other ended up jumping ship in a foreign port after the cook took a fancy to him.

I know this is a fairly big ship but it still must be difficult for several stowaways to go unnoticed.

As an alternative my money is on a couple of crew members going/went postal.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Not so much as hijack as a standoff between crew and those stowaways, but I think we can all guess how this is going to end. The ship will be allowed to dock and the stowaways will be processed for possible political asylum which given the current chaos in Nigeria is will probably be granted.

BBC News. 19:00. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

From the BBC page:

"According to a source close to the shipping company, the crew were aware of stowaways on board, but the stowaways became violent towards the crew while it was off the Isle of Wight."

and:

"Lawyers for the vessel's owners said they had been aware of the stowaways on board for some time."

Funny how the crew knew about them but only decided to do anything once off in UK waters 🤔

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Marksfish  probably @Minivanman  is right and will be joining the uk population.Shocked

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@Marksfish wrote:

"Lawyers for the vessel's owners said they had been aware of the stowaways on board for some time."

Funny how the crew knew about them but only decided to do anything once off in UK waters 🤔

So... what would you have done? Captain? ? ? ?  

chucked them overboard..... ?  made them walk the plank ?   give them a seaboat and a weeks supply of food and water, and point in the direction of land... and say.. " Bye Bye chaps... Have a nice day, y`all"

billnotben
Community Veteran

I'd settle for scrub the decks and earn their keep until they get back to the port where they first illegally stowed away.

But as said they will be basically rewarded for their illegal actions by allowing them to enter the country. Then as news spreads this will just become yet another popular way to get here.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

By all means let them stay........

Then send the bill to the ships owners for the cost of them staying here.

Not sure why we could not have refused the ship to dock here, if the crew and company had known for some time these people were on board exactly what did they expect would happen once the ship docked. ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@shutter wrote:

So... what would you have done? Captain? ? ? ?  

chucked them overboard..... ?  made them walk the plank ?   give them a seaboat and a weeks supply of food and water, and point in the direction of land... and say.. " Bye Bye chaps... Have a nice day, y`all"

The crew have proved that the ship did not need to dock to call for assistance. They could have done it anywhere en route, rather than leaving it until on the coastline of the UK. I have NO SYMPATHY WHATSOEVER for any person trying to enter this country illegally, irrespective of circumstances. There are legal means of coming to this country and others do go to the trouble of trying to comply, why reward those that don't? I wouldn't even have given them a weeks supply of food, may have given them a fishing line! Of course, there are people fleeing legitimately, but they go through the correct procedures and of course, once correctly processed are welcome. These should just be locked in the brig and taken back to source.

Fed up with this country being treated like the land of milk and honey. We have our own homeless indigenous population to worry about before we start worrying about the rest of the world's population.

I never used to think of myself as anti anyone, but the way this country is being treated by all and sundry at the moment is hardening my outlook. I'm sure my comments will bring lots of contempt, but i'm that fed up at the moment, I don't care.

billnotben
Community Veteran

If a lorry driver knowingly brings illegal immigrants into the country without informing the authorities don't they face consequences and fines.

So what's going to happen to the ships crew and owners? Impound the ship and cargo at least for now perhaps?

It's clear the crew were just expecting their "problem" to walk away when they docked.

Does anyone really think this is the first time time this has happened to this ship? And probably many others.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Pirtes.jpg

Not political Mods, just a bit of humour in our lives during these dark days. 🤗

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
billnotben
Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

Not political Mods, just a bit of humour

Likewise I was just about to post "Pirate Lives Matter" but I decided not to.

Wouldn't it be great to be a fly on the wall to hear the pirates being interrogated politely questioned.

Why did you get violent towards the crew? They wanted more money.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

It seems obvious that the whole thing was premeditated:  At the nearest point to the UK coastline, start a pretend fight, the authorities will be called and you'll be taken to the UK where you'll soon be joining the others living it up in 5-star hotels at a cost of £4 bn. to the likes of you and me, before being granted asylum and all the benefits that comes with that.  And don't worry, even if your application fails, you'll never get deported.

What I don't understand is that when people in distress are picked up by a British-registered vessel in the Mediterranean, we are told that they become our responsibility because the ship is registered here.  These Nigerians were on a Liberian-registered ship, but we are told that they are also our responsibility.  Anyone know why?

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@Jonpe wrote:

What I don't understand is that when people in distress are picked up by a British-registered vessel in the Mediterranean, we are told that they become our responsibility because the ship is registered here.  These Nigerians were on a Liberian-registered ship, but we are told that they are also our responsibility.  Anyone know why?

Jim Talent Quotes | QuoteHD