Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh what have I got myself into?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Oh what have I got myself into?

Before anyone says it - hot water?
Before anyone says it - a cheap alternative is NOT baked beans!

I'm sitting here looking at a big box. It contains an eight person spa. I now have to install and prepare it. Wire it in. Plumb it in ...and what about the drainage?
What possessed me to buy it? The box itself is heavy enough - two men struggled bringing it up eight flights of stairs (the lift is out or order again). Still, I expect it will look nice on the balcony.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Oh what have I got myself into?

Don`t bother with the plumbing...  Don`t bother with the electrics.... just make a small hole in or near the bottom ( if there is no plug hole )  and put a piece of hose pipe on it for drainage..... every time you go out... get a bag of compost..( cheapo gro bags will do )... and begin to fill it up... when its 3/4 full plant lots of bulbs...  top it off ... and then you can plant some small crops .. veggies.. or even flowers... great for a balcony garden ! ! ..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I just hope your balcony will be able to take the weight of all that water plus some bodies, you and your friends don't want to end up on the ground floor!

RobPN
Aspiring Pro

@rogadodge  If you're being serious about putting an 8-person spa on your balcony, have you considered the weight implications when it's full of water and X amount of people?

Edit: looks like @Mook beat me to it while I fetched my cuppa!

Community Veteran

It's only 1450 litres plus 45k and eight people. (Plus the sound system, bottles of drink, my motorbike and lawnmower). Should be ok. It will make drainage easy too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

That's nearly 2 tonnes all in so I guess we'll hear about the collapse in the news later. Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

rogadodge wrote:
Before anyone says it - hot water?
Before anyone says it - a cheap alternative is NOT baked beans!

I'm sitting here looking at a big box. It contains an eight person spa. I now have to install and prepare it. Wire it in. Plumb it in ...and what about the drainage?
What possessed me to buy it? The box itself is heavy enough - two men struggled bringing it up eight flights of stairs (the lift is out or order again). Still, I expect it will look nice on the balcony.

No need for any of the hassel of wiring it up plumbing it in etc......

Just get it sold on ebay.

That will also save you a fortune on heating and water bills.

Another idea might be to sell it to one of your mates for a ' special price' providing he invites you along to use it at times and provides the ' champers' as well.

Wink

And if that fails put a tap on the outlet, fill it with water then chuck in some malt, hops and yeast I'm sure your mates would prefer the final result of that rather than sitting in ' hot water'

Community Veteran

Filled with asses milk a la Cleopatra?

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

And if that fails put a tap on the outlet, fill it with water then chuck in some malt, hops and yeast I'm sure your mates would prefer the final result of that rather than sitting in ' hot water'

Vat`s not a bad idea....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

and then he could invite forum members around for a booze up, or would it be a 'punch up'

punch as in wine, lemonade, fruit & spirits.

Smiley

Community Veteran

No one picked up on the 'lawnmower in a block of flats' clue. I actually live in a house (thank god) . Got it set up, inflated and filled, having removed and replaced half the paving slabs on the patio. Put the minimum chemicals in it (so we could try it out). Now chilled out, relaxed and kicking back with a chilled glass or three of Lidl prosecco - highly recommended.
I did look for a picture or video of a balcony collapsing under the weight of a spa or hot tub, but couldn't find one, so I was unsold tree to keep the pretense going.
Community Veteran

When I were a lad.... we had an outside toilet.... and a tin bath...  kept on the wall in the coal shed.

We thought it was very modern, when we moved to a newer house... and the toilet and bath were indoors...

Can`t imagine why anyone would want to go back in time, and have a bath outdoors again... Shocked

(even if you are drinking cheapo plonko ! ).. Cheesy

Community Veteran

Not cheapo plonko...Just good value. Didn't drink it in spa.

I was surprised at how relaxing it is, and helped my rheumatism too, albeit temporarily.