cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh dear...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Oh dear...

We've only had this machine a few months and apparently I've already nearly outgrown it  Shocked

Heck..  I think I need an upgrade  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Oh dear...

and for those who think chrome is good at memory management, here's what happened when i closed one tab on ebay:
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Amazing.
I've never been a fan of Chrome and that memory graph supports it. I run Firefox with various useful addons including tracking blockers. Must check my stats later but if the cpu or memory are getting a bashing then Norton has a popup.
The only time that seems to appear is during a full Windows own image and backup I have scheduled monthly.
Let's be careful out there !
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Chrome is a memory hog alright.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Apple Mac OSX
Firefox typically 160mb to 480mb Real Memory
Typical Google Chrome Memory Usage  below !!
When Chrome was closed, there used to be still around 5 helpers that remained open !!
Now when Chrome is closed, all the helpers disappear, after modding Chrome Preferences, as per Google !
No memory usage at all.

Community Veteran

I'm personally a fan of seamonkey and have used it for many years with all my bookmarks etc..The reason I've started using chrome for general browsing is that seamonkey just cannot cope with large numbers of tabs open as they all run in one process. When that hits around 700Mb of memory then it starts becoming difficult. Chrome runs all the tabs as seperate processes which means that none of them freeze.
I don't store my bookmarks in it though.. never trusting chrome / google with those  Crazy
As for firefox, i'll use it for debugging html but i'm not a great fan of it to be honest.