cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh dear - look what I just clicked on

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Oh dear - look what I just clicked on

Simple link from a Google search and the only way to get rid of it was to use Task Manager - it even tried to download an exe file
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Oh dear - look what I just clicked on

I've seen rather a lot of that lately, evil little swine.
Suggestions:
1. System Restore
2. Malwarebytes loaded and run in Safe Mode with Networking
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It won't live long, google have a url scanner which detects this stuff.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

It didn't get anywhere as I blocked the download (Firefox asks every time)
I should explain I used the task manager to close Firefox
Also My Documents isn't on the C: drive
thisoldman
Grafter

bless me. I would have thought that  a man of your venerable knowledge and experience would have had the insight to have used  a free on line search advisor tool , such as mcafees ite advisor.  You do continue to amaze and  worry me Wink
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Oldjim, Run Firefox in Sandboxed it's Free, it will help to keep your computer clean!
I Run all Web Browsers in Sandboxed.  Smiley  Wink
Community Veteran

@oldman
I do have the equivalent running and it didn't flag it up and I have no intention of letting McAfee anywhere near my computer - see picture
Always remember that the best and worst security protection on a PC is the person operating it
@Gary
You are quite correct but I find the advantages of doing most of my browsing outside a sandbox outweigh the occasional silly (this is the first time I have seen one this bad) and even if I had been stupid enough to allow the exe to run Kaspersky would almost certainly have shouted at me.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Seems to target XP more than windows 7, I had this couple year ago( XP ) and last year my mother In law was totally Infected with this little Cunt (XP)
Community Veteran

Steve,
The link targeted anyone who clicked on it - the fact that I am running windows 7 64 bit wasn't relevant although I have no idea whether I would have been infected if I hadn't blocked it in the first place
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I think Its more a Scareware? Don't know how I got Infected from It but I did, Not badly though, Mother In law got Infected badly with this though, To the point where It crippled her XP, Guess who had to sort It? I think she probably Installed It though ( Fell for It ) Funnily both of us at the time were using Internet Explorer.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Steve
Seems to target XP more than windows 7,

I've seen it everywhere, though mostly on Vista as it happens.
David_W
Rising Star

I think (but not 100% sure) Windows Defender would have blocked installation, not just Kaspersky.  I use Chrome though which does sandbox everything and gives each window it's own task, so if one tab crashes it doesn't take down the browser.  Of course, as you have Kaspersky you can just right click anything and run it in a sandbox.
mentalist3d
Grafter

Why not give the add-on Web of Trust a go, it uses coloured warning labels like Site Advisor, but all the ratings come from the community and sites are rated quickly when discovered, where as, Site Advisor can take up to a year to display accurate ratings.
I checked the scorecard for the malicious site, and it was already rated orange, soon it will be red - http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www1.softrestoreni.rr.nu
The added bonus of WOT as soon as you discover a malicious site, you can add your own rating and warn all the other WOT users - www.mywot.com
Community Veteran

I am not sure how that would work as the link I clicked on wasn't that but it was a blogspot which autotransferred to it
Just out of interest I ran the original search link again and it has gone
Also that site was only reported today by you so it wouldn't have helped in this case
mentalist3d
Grafter

The link was already rated orange but had no comments. I left the comment after reading your post, and I've noticed some other people have added to the rating so the site is now red. Sometimes with WOT some sites slip by the net, but as soon as someone becomes aware of a dangerous site that is unrated, it is quickly given a rating to protect others.
blogspot gets abused quite a lot, but I noticed they are usually quick at removing rogue sites from their server. By any chance can you remember the exact url for the site? I'm sure the WOT community would like to research the owner further, as these people tend to have more than one site, so sometimes the WOT community is able to identify many malicious sites from the 1 bad egg.