cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh dear - if you believe the Telegraph - all our calls are theirs

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Oh dear - if you believe the Telegraph - all our calls are theirs

I wondered where to post this but in view of the fact that it appears to be a rumour at this stage I put it here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/9090617/Phone-and-email-records-to-be-stored-in-new-s...
Landline and mobile phone companies and broadband providers will be ordered to store the data for a year and make it available to the security services under the scheme.
The databases would not record the contents of calls, texts or emails but the numbers or email addresses of who they are sent and received by.
For the first time, the security services will have widespread access to information about who has been communicating with each other on social networking sites such as Facebook.
Direct messages between subscribers to websites such as Twitter would also be stored, as well as communications between players in online video games.
The Home Office is understood to have begun negotiations with internet companies in the last two months over the plan, which could be officially announced as early as May.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Oh dear - if you believe the Telegraph - all our calls are theirs

Thats old news though. I seem to remember this coming up a couple of years back.
EDIT: Just read and now realise this is a revival of previously dumped plans. It'll flop spectacularly IMO. Not even the USA has managed eavesdropping on a scale like this.
I think the TOR system will end up with a lot more users though.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It is just a minor misunderstanding. The people think we own the Government, whereas the State thinks it owns the people.
It is ironic that the people who these measures are really targeted at will almost certainly use techniques to defeat any such monitoring, meanwhile the State will waste large amounts of money (through their ISP Proxies) monitoring the innocent. Sadly it is nothing new, this monitoring of telecoms has been going on for years. The process of dumping the work on the ISP's helps to prevent such monitoring showing on the black budgets of the security services.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: AlaricAdair
the State will waste large amounts of money (through their ISP Proxies) monitoring the innocent. Sadly it is nothing new, this monitoring of telecoms has been going on for years.

I suspect in reality the security services will actually have good results from this however that will never be made public because of the nature of their work. Frankly I don't know why they're bothering with this though because I thought the security services could hack / monitor pretty much anything/anyone they wanted anyway. I thought that was the very idea of spying / espionage? - You bend rules to find things out?
Seems to me that the state is now turning our intelligence services into a commercial organisation slowly.. Next time MI6 operate abroad they'll have "Sponsored by <company name>" stitched into their uniforms.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
gswindale
Grafter

I thought, from purely reading the topic title, that the Telegraph were claiming ownership of all of our telephone calls  Grin  They're welcome to pay my phone bill if they want to :-)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

[quote="The Daily Mail"]
Government spy programme will monitor every phone call, text and email... and details will be kept for up to a year
Details about text messages, phone calls, emails and every website visited by members of the public will be kept on record in a bid to combat terrorism.
The Government will order broadband providers, landline and mobile phone companies to save the information for up to a year under a new security scheme.
What is said in the texts, emails or phone calls will not be kept but information on the senders, recipients and their geographical whereabouts will be saved.
Direct messages to users of social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter will also be saved and so will information exchanged between players in online video games.
The information will be stored by individual companies rather than the government.
The news has sparked huge concerns about the risk of hacking and fears that the sensitive information could be used to send spam emails and texts.
Read More Here

I thought this idea was been dropped.  Angry
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Just a matter of time then before Rupert Murdoch buys It.