Did you mean: 

Oh dear - how to insult half the population

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Oh dear - how to insult half the population

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/29/aptiquant_iq_survey/
It's official: IE users are dumb as a bag of hammers

and just to rub it in
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/01/chrome_overtakes_firefox_uk_browser_market_share/
Chrome overtook Firefox as Britain's second most popular browser in July, with almost one in four users preferring the Google product.
Figures from web metrics outfit Statcounter show Chrome has reached 22.12 per cent market share, overtaking Mozilla Firefox at 21.65 per cent, and doubling its share over 12 months. Good reviews for Microsoft's IE9 failed to stop the slide, with 45.5 per cent using it, down almost 10 per cent year on year. And Opera's "browser ballot" campaign hasn't won it an advantage; it has slipped from 1.22 to 0.89 per cent share over the year. Safari rose slightly to 8.5 per cent.
37 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Oh dear - how to insult half the population

but you can't get away from the facts !
Fixes: 102

maybe they'll be too thick to notice they're being insulted...Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

If they are still using IE they are probably still trying to get online through all the cr*p that gets "automatically" installed, extra toolbars, smiles etc. Last time I had to clean a pc of viruii the toolbars took up HALF the screen (on a 19" monitor gawd help them if they were on 17" screens)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As an aside to this, During the last major Win7 update a few weeks ago. It wanted to install IE8. I declined as I never use IE (a Firefox man!!) But every time I boot up I get a pop-up reminding me about an available update (IECool
Is there anyway of dealing with this annoyance, or will I eventually have to face installing something I don't want? My browser has a pop-up control active but, of course it doesn't work with MS updates.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
hadden
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
the facts

How about we just refer to the "the facts" as an estimate based upon statistical guesses... ?
I wonder if Statcounter took into account those Firefox users with Adblock Plus? That Add-on blocks the statcounter web analytics from working, and so these Firefox users would not be seen. Is it a significant number? ...well there are supposed to be around 11 million active daily users of Adblock Plus.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
maybe they'll be too thick to notice they're being insulted...Wink

This happy IE9 user is insulted Smiley
Quote from: Hairy
If they are still using IE they are probably still trying to get online through all the cr*p that gets "automatically" installed

Like everything, IE just needs looking after - just like the OS does. People dont do that = problems Smiley
I stand by IE, theres nothing wrong with it (and there hasnt been for some time)
Regards
Steve
Pro

Quote from: Petlew
As an aside to this, During the last major Win7 update a few weeks ago. It wanted to install IE8. I declined as I never use IE (a Firefox man!!) But every time I boot up I get a pop-up reminding me about an available update (IECool
Is there anyway of dealing with this annoyance, or will I eventually have to face installing something I don't want? My browser has a pop-up control active but, of course it doesn't work with MS updates.
Start, Control panel, Windows updates, un-tick the box for the update you don't want then right click and select to hide that update, From now on It shouldn't bother you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'm a happy IE user, it works, as Matt says it takes looking after. Insulted? no! water off a duc..........................Oops nearly mentioned the "D" word, might of got away with it.
Fixes: 102

Quote from: Matt_2k34
This happy IE9 user is insulted Smiley

Mission accomplished then Wink
Like everything, IE just needs looking after - just like the OS does. People dont do that = problems Smiley

Define looking after? I haven't had to look after my O/S'
Will Moderate For Thanks
matt_2k34
Grafter

Looked after = updates are done, any crap files i've left are cleaned up (im very bad at leaving my desktop very messy)
Whilst your on the "holy grail" (Mac) dvorak, Im sure you still keep everything up to date and tendered too... to me, thats looking after the O/S.
Regards
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Steve
From now on It shouldn't bother you.

Many thanks. I should of course said it was IE9 not 8.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

My interpretation of these "statistics" (remember: lies, damned lies and statistics) is:
1. The other products are too difficult to install so most people don't bother
2. A significant number of "clever clogs" think they're being smart by mindlessly actually following the anti-IE bandwagon, like a flock of sheep!
Just think how many people manage to drive a car on the public roads; surely much more difficult  Lips are sealed
matt_2k34
Grafter

2. A significant number of "clever clogs" think they're being smart by mindlessly actually following the anti-IE bandwagon, like a flock of sheep!

Indeed, particularly "IT-based" people. The amount of times ive heard "LOL IE NUB" are truely countless  Grin
Still, i have the last laugh when i can actually search, without getting caught up in one of my 76 personalised "add ons" or because some crummy style i've picked has moved buttons and the address bar round  Huh or just generally because IE (for me) is quicker than FF, and less bloaty than Chrome (ewwwwwwwww Google)
Smiley
Community Veteran

without getting caught up in one of my 76 personalised "add ons" or because some crummy style i've picked has moved buttons and the address bar round

Never had that happen to me with IE.
Mostly I stick with IE, occasionally use SRware Iron (ex-Chrome?), rarely FireFox. Some sites just seem to work better on one or another. Undecided
I see lots of FireFox problems with my customers, though "Speedyfox" seems to fix most of them - but why is it necessary? Lips are sealed
The biggest problem I see with IE is an invalid (high) setting for temporary files - there's a bug somewhere, I think in the update to IE8.
And the next problem (NOT really specific-browser-related) is the huge number of irrelevant add-ons some people seem to "acquire" as they happily install stuff without looking at the pre-ticked tick boxes. (*HairyBiker this is NOT just an IE problem, far from it in fact!)