cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh dear Win 8 launch not a success

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Oh dear Win 8 launch not a success

From El Reg  (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/29/surface_windows_8_launch_fall_flat/)
Things went from bad to worse for the software giant in Asia after reports emerged that a high-profile live public demonstration of Windows 8 in downtown Taipei fell flat when the OS cocked up on some devices. Microsoft staff apparently had trouble closing apps on several all-in-one PCs and instead were forced to demo the new OS on tablets.
Unsurprisingly, Redmond blamed the hardware.

And another quote that the pcworld store in London (the BIG one) hadn't sold a SINGLE copy of win8 as of 12pm yesterday  Cheesy
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Oh dear Win 8 launch not a success

Hardly surprising when you wait for your customers to buy it and tell you whats wrong with your code  Crazy
I'm not going to touch it with a bargepole. I'm waiting for Win 9 which will be the improved version of 8.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Even if Win8 were attractive (and I cannot see any advantage except with touch screens)  anyone who is that keen to get it would probably be the type of person to order online at a lower price than is available in store.
David_W
Rising Star

PC World it costs £49.99 for the upgrade.  MS charges £25 (and chucks in Media Centre for free if you're quick and want it).  I'm not even sure the Win8 Pro that MS sends is an upgrade version though, I managed a clean install after a format of my SSD with the £25 download from MS so it's really a saving of.... lots?
Community Veteran

Quote from: David
MS charges £25 (and chucks in Media Centre for free if you're quick and want it). 

I missed the Media Centre bit - how do you get that?
Or am I too late? Downloaded the other day for £24.99.  Undecided
Steve
Seasoned Pro

HPsauce this
you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

From here....http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2012/07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx
Community Veteran

I found this which is maybe more direct: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/feature-packs
I've requested a free key and await its delivery with interest....
David_W
Rising Star

I don't actually know what the media centre bit does, it'll work with a TV card (which I don't have, though I could plug in my Playstation TV add-on thingy...) and umm, no idea what else it's for, but it was free so I got it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I bought a new laptop in June and registered for the (I think £15) upgrade offer.
Not sure I'll use it yet though.
For a start you have to do an upgrade, which I don't want to do. I want to install from scratch (which from what I've read it is possible to do apparently).
Secondly I've only just rebuilt W7 on a new SSD drive, and don't fancy having to do it again.
Finally I am not sure of what the benefits of it are, as I've not really played around with it that much.
I may try sticking a previous build on a VM and see.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
I've requested a free key and await its delivery with interest....

Well it didn't arrive in the promised 24 hours so I requested another (via different email address).
Both arrived close together a few hours later.
Possibly stuck in a damp US East Coast datacentre? (aka datacenter)  Huh
Anyway I used one of the keys as instructed and now have Media Centre (oddly labelled Media Center despite being configured as a UK system  Crazy ) on my Windows 8 PC.