Oh dear - Scan have upset a few customers here

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56
7 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Oh dear - Scan have upset a few customers here

It's getting to the point where we will have to create a new disposable ( Hotmail ? ) email address for every online transaction.
And as mentioned before, I include an extra middle name letter relating to the company, never give my true d.o.b., nor real phone number, unless I have to, usually for trusted financial companies.
ie Radio Times,  my name is Fred RT Flintstone !
Fixes: 104

think i'd be pretty pee'd too. glad I haven't bought anything from them for a while..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I use the catch all and give them email addresses john01@... john02@... etc (I'm up in to the 40's now). I then I have a text file where I keep a record of who I used each email address with.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 125

Think I mentioned it before...
I use things like scan@mydomain.co.uk
Edit: Actually, I just remembered I had two emails from a company (possibly Reevoo) regarding two recent purchases from different companies. Didn't give it a second thought till now.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I've never bought from Scan, never heard of them and doubt I'll ever use them. I do find it shocking that they're so careless with peoples details though and sending out unsolicited email.
Yahoo are pretty good, I can have upto 500 disposable email addresses (i think I have around 60 in use at the moment) so I can use one per service and when I start getting spam I either grumble at them or just delete the address.
I just wish yahoo introduced it earlier.. I still get TONS of spam to my primary address which has been on many mailing lists for over 12 years. Then of course there is the small issue that yahoo unofficially allow certain bits of spam to get through and were once proved to be doing it on purpose  Crazy
Still, can't complain too much, most spam goes to the spam folder and the disposables has seen the amount of spam drop dramatically as I no longer give out my primary address, the amount of spam that does get through is less than the postie delivers and afterall that.. it's FREE!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

oh dear I was just today, planning on ordering a few bits from SCAN. Not any more.
Fixes: 47

Quote from Scans Retail Sales Manager
we have granted then access to our data to send the email and that is it.

My bold.
The problem seems to be that Scans customers don't think it's Scans data to share.
I've never used Scan and am unlikely to but not because of this because the practice is very common.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation