cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh! Dear...... Wrong kind of snow ------------------ again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Oh! Dear...... Wrong kind of snow ------------------ again

Snow causes Stansted Airport to close for 2 hours from 6 am......
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/weather-snow-across-london-cold-snap-073342389.html
and .... yes..... train services to and from London have been disrupted !  Roll eyes
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Oh! Dear...... Wrong kind of snow ------------------ again

You're not surprised are you? You know how badly this country copes with snow. Sensible countries invest in proper hardware that can cope with it. The UK only buys what it thinks it can get away with to keep the bankers and MPs happy.
It snowed here this morning but it didn't settle Sad
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

Sensible countries invest in proper hardware that can cope with it.

Sensible coutries also get enough snow for the investment to be worthwhile  
i.e.  the cost of buying and maintaining the equipment is less than the cost of problems caused without it.
Community Veteran

Exactly. We just accept the disruption because it's not frequent enough to justify the costs.
As for last night, I think it was compounded by an unusual situation where snow and a slight warming followed quickly behind rain and a hard frost, so wet snow on ice.  Cry
But I invested in winter tyres a few years back and they're already on so no problems this morning.  Cool
itsme
Grafter

As a keen skier I've spent a lot of time in ski areas and my biggest gripe in this country is not the lack of investment at airports as I don't believe its cost effective.  But that the councils grit on top of snow, fix ploughs on gritters and clear the snow first.
Community Veteran

Quote from: kmilburn
Sensible countries invest in proper hardware that can cope with it.

Sensible coutries also get enough snow for the investment to be worthwhile  
i.e.  the cost of buying and maintaining the equipment is less than the cost of problems caused without it.

Quote from: HPsauce
Exactly. We just accept the disruption because it's not frequent enough to justify the costs.

It's all so simple to you both isn't it. You're both thinking like bankers - money, money, money. What about the ambulance that can't rescue the old lady who's fallen in 2ft snow and broken her leg? What about the pregnant mum who's needing to be taken to hospital to deliver the baby? What about the banker who can't get to the office to make his money?
There are more important things you know.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
It's all so simple to you both isn't it.

You are erroneously attrtibuting views to me, please correct your post.  Wink
I am merely stating "the way it is" not supporting any particular opinion.  Cool
Community Veteran

And I am merely stating the way you both see / go along with it  Wink
Community Veteran

No, you're saying how I'm thinking. Wrongly.  Angry
You're both thinking like bankers - money, money, money.
Steve
Pro

Snow fell overnight here along the east coast and still going early this morning, And Its settled, Christmas has come early here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's all so simple to you both isn't it. You're both thinking like bankers - money, money, money. What about the ambulance that can't rescue the old lady who's fallen in 2ft snow and broken her leg? What about the pregnant mum who's needing to be taken to hospital to deliver the baby? What about the banker who can't get to the office to make his money?

If the fire and rescue people can take a window out to get a severely overweight person to hospital, and a helicopter can deliver a pregnant woman in difficulties to hospital (as happened at least twice in Scotland last year), I'm pretty sure an old lady can be sorted in a snow drift, which wouldn't be too difficult to deal with in an emergency.
It's being so cheerful that keeps us going!  Shocked
kmilburn
Grafter

It's all so simple to you both isn't it. You're both thinking like bankers - money, money, money.

I'm just being pragmatic, if the cost outweighs the benefit, its merit is questionable.
What about the ambulance that can't rescue the old lady who's fallen in 2ft snow and broken her leg? etc.

This comes down to the question of responsibility  (including personal responsibility).
Should the Councils/Highways Agency clear every road in the country or should the ambulance have a set of snow socks/chains?
Given the impossibility of clearing every road simultaneously,  the ambulance should probably have snow socks anyway,  making clearing every road redundant.