cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh Dear! I've spent £1000 on this phone and it ...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

Oh Dear! I've spent £1000 on this phone and it ...

iPhone X owners complain that their £1,000 smartphone, er, can't accept calls

All I can say is serves them right for spending silly money ON A PHONE! Funny

36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 32

Re: Oh Dear! I've spent £1000 on this phone and it ...

I can understand spending that kind of money, and more, on a computer, but a phone! So I have to ask what is the rationale behind that decision. I guess only those that own one could answer.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 5

Yep @Mook

Friend of my has got one and people ask if I am going to get one. Errrm not at that price I am not.

Having had a phone snatched out of my hand I wouldn't want to be flashing that around.

With London (and I guess many cities) people assume the more affulent areas are safer than the ones which aren't. Not where I used to be. In actual fact the affulent areas are more of a risk as people know there is more to steal.

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

wrote:

All my phones are PAYG and cost less than £20 each.

I can Talk, Text and generally keep in touch.

With the occasional photo (Low resolution)

Battery life is measured in days, not hours.....

My main ones have Bluetooth too, so I can use them totally hands free in the car.

I personally have no need for a Smartphone

But my iMacs, now that is  a different story !!

Community Veteran

Yes the only apps I really use are Facebook, LinkedIn (the professional version of Facebook for people looking for work IMHO).

E-mail, and the bus checker and the train checker apps. I use them a lot. Bus checker uses the TfL feed and while it can be temperamental at times on the whole it works well.

Calls and texts of course.

Don't care about games, and I don't like the way they con you into In App Purchases which makes your phone like a coin-op arcade machine. With the likes of Candy Crush et al, saying "Oooh you have lost your lives, you can't play for now. But pay and we'll give you some more".

So I don't care about games, as they're a con.

I am not going to change phones until this one breaks (hope I haven't cursed myself there), but looking at it reasticallty they're the only basics I need.

Fixes: 234

I can happily answer the calls with my bluetooth headphones, don't need to get phone out of my pocket.

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Me too.

The Bluetooth enabled phones just sit in my coat pockets, on the back seat.

They work through the car Radio, with designated controls on the steering wheel, coupled with voice commands

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

wrote:

wrote:

I can understand spending that kind of money, and more, on a computer, but a phone! So I have to ask what is the rationale behind that decision. I guess only those that own one could answer.

For many they're not phones though, they're the most personal, and most used of personal computers and therefore the price justifiable (not that what people choose to spend their money on needs to be justified to others)

Not that I would buy one personally, Apple is too totalitarian for my liking....

Fixes: 208

wrote:

<snip>So I have to ask what is the rationale behind that decision.

A status symbol?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I love my smartphone and would struggle without it however £1k is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much to spend on one.

Mine cost £90 from ALDI - I felt guilty spending that much on it! Compared to many though thats cheap and yet it lets me do everything that the more expensive phones can do. It is getting a bit sluggish now but i do have a load of stuff running on it (custom tasks using both Tasker and Automate apps).

£1k? Thats just stupid. It reminds me of the silly girl on the apple adverts "What's a computer?" If apple is proud to advertise that its customers are clueless morons that have no idea what a computer is then god help us.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The most expensive model is £1149 I believe, so over 1k.
I know a couple of people who have got one, who says it is good - but then you'd want it to be for that money.

Got a text from EE (my network provider), I can get one (am assuming is the basic model) for the bargain price of around £80 per month for two years minimum contract.

Then I think "Hmm .. where do I not sign".

For half that money you could buy a decent SLR. Yes it is a different device as you can't call people on it, but it shows to me that kind of money can go further than just a mobile.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

£80 a month? Shocked

Wow. Just what planet do people live on to offer a phone package at that price per month... or be in a position to afford it!

Crazy world!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 32

@DaveyH, doesn’t what you say depend on your definition of Personal Computer. I don’t think there is anything you can do on an iPhone that you couldn’t do on a cheaper Android powered derivative.

Do you, or indeed anyone, know anyone that owns an iPhone and uses it like a Personal Computer? If you do then I’d wager they don’t do presentations, spreadsheets, graphics or real life work related tasks on it. They may use it for Faceache and Twatter, but again that’s nothing that can’t be done on any smart phone.

You are of course right in that no one should have to justify what they spend their money on. But I think we all know that quite possibly the majority of those who buy an iPhone are buying in to what they think is an elitist lifestyle.

As an ardent fan of my existing Apple products I could go out now and buy one of these, but I wouldn’t. Not because I don’t get a mobile signal here, but simply I’d rather spend the money elsewhere, to get more value for my money, and would simply buy the new version of the Nokia 3310 if I needed a phone.

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

@Alex wrote:

For half that money you could buy a decent SLR. Yes it is a different device as you can't call people on it, but it shows to me that kind of money can go further than just a mobile.

"The Best Camera Is the one that's with you" . Its the 21st century, what normal person carries a bulky and complex DSLR around with them everywhere they go?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Anyone know a company that will provide a gold and diamond cover for my X phone? I've seen these people but their case looks a bit basic. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.