cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offer not available to existing customers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Offer not available to existing customers

A number of firms exclude existing customers from deals that are only available to new customers, but have they made a error in doing this ?
First we must define what a customer is and as far as I can see it is a person who has purchased an item or agreed a contract with a firm or other person so the only person in a household using the product is the customer, others may use it but legally they are not the customer as they have no responsibility for payment or safety of the product.
So what happens if the customer, providing he or she is not in a contract formally ending that service and another member of the same household applying for that product as they are a new customer and getting any discounts or offers with that product ?
A company might claim that all members of a household were customers but I doubt that would hold up in court .
So any thoughts on the above ?
6 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Offer not available to existing customers

in terms of contracts like phone /bb you would incur a rather high cost if you were to use that method of changing customers due to cessation and reconnect charges, similarly for energy supply or water companies.
in terms of insurance then if the other member of the household is not named or otherwise mentioned on the contract it should be perfectly possible to use the change of customer to get new member benefits.
unfortunately though many companies mention the word household in the contract  terms which can be inferred as implying all members of that household although not specifically named are "customers" and would incur liability if the contract holder were to expire for any unpaid costs.....
in short your supposition "should be correct" but in practice will either be too expensive to be a viable option or discounted by the service provider as a viable option (sky for instance use the world household and as such regardless of who is named as the contract holder all occupants are jointly liable for any charges should I disappear and they continue to use the service) as such my wife can't take out a new customer contract with them when mine runs out ......

edit; fixed typo
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles

A company might claim that all members of a household were customers but I doubt that would hold up in court .

If the word 'household' was used it would certainly hold up in court although I doubt either side would challenge these matters in court for the relatively small amounts involved.
Everyone wants the lower price but what would happen if the price was increased a week after you purchased goods or service? Would you think it right if a supplier asked you for the increased cost?
Community Veteran

Not sure if it's a legal requirement or just good business practice but most firms usually give a fair bit of notice prior to any price increase so they would have to make you aware the price was due to increase in the next week.
Some of these offers actually state what you will pay for a set period of time so could not increase the price within that time scale otherwise they would have broken the contract.
Community Veteran

It's always a difficult situation.Did you have something specific in mind?
Community Veteran

You might think that............I could not possibly say.
Smiley Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

Now then, eeny, meeny, minee.........