cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off their trolley...

Fixes: 124

Off their trolley...

Morrison's to scrap the £1 deposit on trolleys in almost 280 stores.
The security devices became part of the everyday experience of supermarket shopping more than 20 years ago, amid a rise in thefts because of their scrap value.
However, Morrisons believes that the introduction of sophisticated CCTV systems, coupled with barriers and bollards designed to stop them being taken off site can provide sufficient protection.

Initially I thought this would be good as it can be bloody inconvenient to realise you haven't got a £1 coin but maybe not so good when you think about all those abandoned trolleys once more.
I doubt our local Morrison's will be scrapping them as the main entrance leads onto a busy road with the car park the other side of the road.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Off their trolley...

My local store already has, as of sometime last week
Wonder if the other S/M sheeples will follow suit ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Scrap value of a trolley vs £1 coin. I don't ever really see the £1 being much of a loss quite frankly. On many trolleys you can just pick out the £1 anyway without the key from the trolley infront.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

They have lessened the perks of their trolley person(s), that is if / when they are lucky to find any £1 coins in their retrieved trollys
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It made me laugh when someone gave me a Sainsbury's branded trolly token.
Is it me, or does that kind of defeat the purpose?
Fixes: 124

Till my dad was 83 he used to work with the local cab company in Lewisham just outside the shopping centre. He would order the taxi using a walkie-talkie and assist people with their shopping. Frequently they'd leave him the trolley as a tip. He often found a few trolleys on the way home which he'd take back to the store the next morning. Over a year he used to collect more than £1000 - enough to pay his council tax bill  Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I do resist when people offer me a £1 coin to take over my trolly.
I don't know where their coin has been, and it may be a fake anyway.
I just tell people it's a token and I need to keep it.
And.... people still turn up without any £1 coins !
My local ASDA requires a £1 coin to park, refunded with purchases >£5, but then it is right next to a large Town.
No coins need for trolleys, yet again, people still turn up without any £1 coins for parking !
Community Veteran

One of my local supermarkets had big "aerials" on their trolleys so they couldn't get through the doors and be taken outside.
Items were bagged up at the checkout and the trolleys were parked inside the shop exit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Must admit been using the tokens for many years now, it just stays on my key ring, then if I need a trolley I have it. Only hassle was when SHMBO lost my one with Tas on it  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As I understand it they are going to be coin free in the majority of shops excluding some areas of London.
Seems the security system will be able check if any trolleys are taken past the barriers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Trolleys will incorporate a wireless transponder tag (RFID) which will be associated with your credit card, CCTV image and loyalty card at the till. If the trolley goes AWOL you credit card will be debited to the cost of the trolley.  Wink
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

so always pay cash and don't use your loyalty card when nicking a trolley and your safe  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
PowerLee
Rising Star

Nice to see Morrison's wasting even more money yet again, they will never learn  Roll eyes
£1 trolley deposit work's perfectly fine for most people, I don't understand why Morrison's need to waste money on sophisticated CCTV systems, barriers and bollards to protect trolley's.
Local Tesco's changed the system to where the trolley won't go past the car park boundary, the end result was trolleys dumped everywhere in the car park due to customers pure laziness & the staff working harder rounding up all the trolleys.