cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off-Road Cars to be Insured

Community Veteran

Off-Road Cars to be Insured

The government is planning to make it law that all cars will have to be insured whether they are on the road or not unless the owner has a SORN for the vehicle.
Car Insurance
15 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Off-Road Cars to be Insured

that Mail article might have been written by TOM, it will in the future, they might, come march a new law nothing concrete, just guess
Community Veteran

Also in the Sunday Times if you read that paper Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You see I still disagree with this because they've made the point by saying this:
A Department for Transport source said: ‘At present, having no insurance is only an offence once the driver gets behind the wheel.'

Somehow I can't see a car wandering off and killing someone by its own free will. Not only that but if someone crashes into your car while its laid up on private property then that is down to their insurance to deal with not yours.
You can still keep a car SORN'd on your drive and whats that going to stop? - All it will do is make it harder to get the car back on the road legally.
I can see a lot of car collectors being hit by this.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Lets add a bit more confusion to this, if it's off the road and needs insurance and it's on your property then you could enquire about your household insurance covering it. After all you can get cover for virtually any item on your property so why not your car ?
Community Veteran

I don't think any insurer will cover that. There is however apparently 'laid up' insurance that a CII friend was telling me about. It only covers the car for being laid up and it doesn't include 3rd party but its still technically insurance. I note that the article doesn't specify the minimum of insurance but I suspect it will be 3rd party which seems rather pathetic when the car is laid up not being used.
Community Veteran

Gleneagles, your household insurer simply has to exclude cars from your cover.  It will be interesting to see the law when it is introduced this week.
Community Veteran

so when is a car not a car ?
We have all seen cars of various ages in drives and farmers fields that have not been driven for years with parts or all of the engine or bodywork missing, so at what point does it cease to be a car and not need insurance ?Huh
Community Veteran

I guess if the vehicle is registered with the DVLA then it's a car Undecided
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
We have all seen cars of various ages in drives and farmers fields that have not been driven for years with parts or all of the engine or bodywork missing, so at what point does it cease to be a car and not need insurance ?Huh

Never. Because last year the government did away with your right to legally break up the vehicle yourself and declare it as scrapped. Now it must go to an authorised treatment facility (ATF) if you wish it to be declared as no longer being a car.
You can still break your own car legally but you must declare it SORN every year for the rest of your life. Either that or pay an ATF to remove the chassis and declare it as scrapped and I suspect thats going to be a booming business for them now.
No doubt they'll pass a law that its illegal to die while you still have a car that has to be declared sorn because you broke it up years ago..
Community Veteran

presumably the insurance companies are making insufficient profits and can't have nice big bonuses like the banks.  some regulation of the insurance industry to stop them gouging captive customers would be nice, but unlikely to happen.
any community insurers out there?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

perhaps its not a new rumour after all
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/uninsured-driver-clampdown/237110
Uninsured driver clampdown
Tuesday, January 20, 2009

* Owners of uninsured cars targetted
    * Will get £100 fine initially
    * Cars crushed if no insurance bought
Community Veteran

Who said it was new Undecided We said the government plans to make an announcement this week, hence the interest.
Fixes: 47

I can cynically imagine lots of lobbying of MPs by insurance companies has taken place.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Sounds about right doesn't it.
I wonder what will happen if we go and lobby our MPs in retaliation?