cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom's latest Broadband report just released.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ofcom's latest Broadband report just released.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2014/average-cable-broadband/
Includes new data on disconnections.
Ofcom’s report includes new analysis on disruptions to consumers’ internet connections, or ‘disconnections’. These occur when a modem loses connection to the internet and consumers cannot load web pages, access email, play online games or download or stream files.
This early analysis, which will be developed in future reports, indicates that ADSL broadband customers experienced an average of 0.5 disconnections lasting longer than 30 seconds per day.
Customers on superfast fibre and cable broadband packages experienced less disruption to their internet connections - an average of 0.1 disconnections lasting longer than 30 seconds per day.  
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Ofcom's latest Broadband report just released.

I wonder how they calculate the disconnections as my experience is nothing like a disconnection every two days so would it be correct to assume that they measure the total number of disconnections and divide by the number of users monitored
If this is the case one user with a faulty line could have tens of disconnections per day which doesn't really justify the extension to average disconnection per customer per day
Equally I wonder how they differentiate between problems and users turning of their router when they aren't using it. In the case of fibre are they monitoring connection stability of PPP session as the latter would be affected by turning off the router but the former wouldn't when using a separate modem
TORPC
Grafter

Nice comparison chart (How accurate do you think it is likely to be) ?Huh
Community Veteran

Here's the methodology (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/uploads/methodology/SQ301-002-EN-Test-Suite-Whitepaper.pdf):
3.7 UDP Contiguous Loss (Disconnections)
This test is an optional extension to the UDP Latency/Loss test. It records instances when two or more consecutive packets are lost to the same measurement server.
Alongside each event we record the timestamp, the number of packets lost and the duration of the event.
By executing the test against multiple diverse servers, a user can begin to observe server outages (when multiple probes see disconnection events to the same server
simultaneously) and disconnections of the user’s home connection (when a single probe loses connectivity to all servers simultaneously).
Typically this test is accompanied by a significant increase in the sampling frequency of the UDP Latency/Loss client to ~2000 packets per hour (providing a resolution of 2-4 seconds for disconnection events).
Community Veteran

Are OFCOM actually using the SamKnows white boxes
It still doesn't explain how they aggregate the results
Community Veteran

I think it must be a simple average. If you scan through the actual full report (below) starting on page 22, it simply states it's a subset of Samknows user data. Doesn't show the details.
Community Veteran

All the OFCOM data in those reports comes from Samknows boxes (other than things like market share).
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/broadband-research/may2014/Fixed_bb_speeds_May_20...
Disconnections is on Page 22 - methodology is also there.
Community Veteran

I may be missing it but I can't how they calculate the average
Is it by the number of users who see a disconnection in a day divided by the number of users or the number of disconnections seen in a day divided by the number of users
Community Veteran

Probably, within the subset they have selected. I can't see any other way.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

I agree with the subset theory - which puts the evaluation in the old Katfood advert style?  ("9 out of 10 cats prefer Whiskas") which after complaints got modified to "9 out of 10 cats who expressed a preferrence prefer Whiskas" Grin
Not a lot of value really.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Ofcom’s research also examines upload speeds, which are particularly important to those consumers wishing to share large files or use real-time video communications. The research found that Plusnet’s ‘up to’ 76Mbit/s package delivered the fastest upload speeds at 17.1Mbit/s on average.
TORPC
Grafter

I wonder what Plusnet will have to say to that valuation ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Quote from: TORPC
Nice comparison chart (How accurate do you think it is likely to be) ?Huh

I thought Ofcom used Samknows figures which imo are pretty good.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Having had recent bad experience with multiple disconnects per day - between 5 and 50! - on a line which was previously stable with 18M down.  There may be some additional useful info the box could collate and report on.
In my case, the line performance dropped off to around 3 meg, but attenuation and SNR stayed roughly the same over multiple weeks (Its a 2nd home location).  Eventually replaced the router and the fault disappeared!  Chatting over a beer with a colleague who acts as a BT SFI he claims to have seen a similar problem many times - generally with an older router on an exchange recently upgraded to ADSL2+  (as in my case 8 weeks earlier).  Collecting data on the internal states of the router could be enlightening.
M
Community Veteran

Taken from Samknow's latest test protocol...  not sure I fully understand it!
UDP Contiguous Loss (Disconnections)
This test is an optional extension to the UDP Latency/Loss test. It records
instances when two or more consecutive packets are lost to the same measurement server.
Alongside each event we record the timestamp, the number
of packets lost and the duration of the event.
By executing the test against multiple diverse servers, a user can begin to observe
server outages (when multiple probes see disconnection events to the same server
simultaneously) and disconnections of the user’s home connection (when a single
probe loses connectivity to all servers simultaneously).
Typically this test is accompanied by a significant increase in the sampling
frequency of the UDP Latency/Loss client to ~2000 packets per hour (providing
a resolution of 2-4 seconds for disconnection events).
Clients Supported: Fixed, Mobile
3.8 DNS