cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom right to request a 10 Mbit/s service by 2020

malkpm
Grafter

Ofcom right to request a 10 Mbit/s service by 2020

I quote from Ofcom   https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/ducts-and-poles    in this article it states,  "So Ofcom is working with the Government on plans to give everyone the right to request a 10 Mbit/s service by 2020."

I am on FTTC with 7mb download.

My question is, who do I make the request to?

Thanks for looking.

Malcolm

11 REPLIES
mikelahey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Ofcom right to request a 10 Mbit/s service by 2020

The article is mainly talking about making it easier for 3rd parties to run cables utilising the existing Openreach Poles and ducting. This is currently seen as a blocker to competition as Openreach charge what is perceived as a premium for running cables alongside their existing infrastructure.

The article doesn't say that it will guarantee 10 meg to everyone, it is an aspiration from the government that will not necessarily lead to fibre to faster broadband in areas with poor connectivity. You also need to consider that broadband doesn't necessarily have to be delivered over cables, there is technology such as Mi-Fi and Satellite that could also provide this level of service.

malkpm
Grafter

And me thinking I might get I might get more than 7mb with my current fibre connection.

Its a pity there's no one to ask as to when I can expect a faster speed. Not PN fault I know but, it is frustrating when I hear of higher speeds.

Thanks for the reply.

Malcolm

ps my postcode is BS20 so not in the wilds

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Have you tried this?
https://gosuperfast.campaign.gov.uk/
I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Here's what I got when using postcode checker on that link. (Address removed)...

Although the majority of the UK can now get superfast broadband, you might live in an area where it isn't yet available. If you cannot currently access a broadband speed of at least 2 Mb per second or you are unable to obtain an affordable broadband service, a subsidised broadband connection is now available and you may be eligible.

Government and local authorities are investing over £1.7 billion to help bring superfast broadband to 95% of the UK by the end of 2017. See broadband projects around the UK in our Google Map.

Ofcom provides information on how to switch your internet services

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Browni
Seasoned Champion

It tells me that I can get superfast broadband through Openreach & Virgin (both true) but should include more appropriate info for the op.
I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
malkpm
Grafter

Thanks for that.

I tried and got 

It looks like you could receive superfast broadband through the Openreach network.

Confirm availability, find out about speeds and how to buy on the Openreach website

When clicking the link i get 

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

As I am 1 mile from the cabinet I cant see a way to improve speeds. There are closer cabinets but to get changed I believe its a no go.

All I want to do is to find out if there are any plans to enable me to obtain a reasonable speed. I do not think that 7mb on FTTC is reasonable. Surely somebody should know about future plans. Perhaps I should contact my MP for help. Anybody done this?

Wouldn't it be nice to say to Openreach......Hi I am a customer of Plusnet who give me a good service. However their service is limited by your infrastructure. What future plans do you have for my area? .......... Ah well, its a bit of a dream. Service providers talking to customers.

There.... I've finished and feel better for this.

May the buffering end soon.

Malcolm 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

malkpm
Grafter

Did you ever watch Yes Minister where Nigel Hawthorn gives his replies?

Browni
Seasoned Champion

Thread unsubscribed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Have you considered using 4G for your connection instead? Yes its more expensive but if you really need faster speed it might be a better option for you.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
malkpm
Grafter

Thanks for that 7up but it would be a bit on the expensive side. Also the cell I connect to is 7.1 miles away. Reason for that is that I have a hill between me and the nearest mast. Speedtest on 4G is 15.71 down. On my FTTC its 6.33. My router which is plugged into the test socket permanently shows 6.95.

My previous provider would not even offer FTTC as it was deemed too slow. I was getting around 3.5 on ADSL so as you can see ,although not super-fast, I have doubled my speed. TT -1   PN +1

Perhaps one dayHuh?Huh

All suggestions helpful.

Thanks again

Malcolm

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

In reality if your previous provider decided that FTTC would be too slow to bother with then you're not going to get any better speeds.

If 4G is capable of offering you almost 16Mb (and this often goes up late at night when there are no other users) then you might still want to consider it - at least as a backup connection.

Admittedly its not exactly cheap but there are some reasonable contract deals out there. We're relatively light users of the internet - maybe the odd youtube video here and there etc but not major streamers or game players. We get through around 15GB a month. I know its not an ideal solution for you but i think its probably the only workable one at present until openreach get their attitude fixed.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!