Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom acts on broadband contracts

Isawitall
Grafter

Ofcom acts on broadband contracts

Good news for customers  Smiley
Broadband and landline contracts which automatically tie customers into long-term deals will be banned from December, Ofcom has said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14900185
10 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Ofcom acts on broadband contracts

Depending how you look at it. I will find the changes worst as now I will actively have to renew a contract to get the benefit of reduced prices.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I wish they would do the same for insurance policies. The hassle of having to cancel your automatic renewal when you find a cheaper deal is a hassle, and as was proved last year not fool proof (I phoned to cancel and they said yes it was cancelled then proceeded to try and charge me for a NON existent policy)
Fixes: 121

I've never come across an automatically renewed policy yet.
Is this something peculiar to bikes?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My company  - household and motor - offer automatic renewal with a credit card. No way am I opting for it.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: Mav
Is this something peculiar to bikes?

No this was my car insurance & my house insurance & my bike insurance &&&&  Wink
I usually pay by DD to spread the costs over the year (yes I know I am paying more, but I don't have the £££ to pay upfront)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
I've never come across an automatically renewed policy yet.

No, my car insurance renews automatically too. They send me a letter about 3 weeks before hand sayind "You don't need to do anything we'll automatically renew" and then shows me a vast increase in the premium below.. which I always end up haggling. They might just as well send me a haggle reminder instead. I did well one year.. got it down over 50%.. then had a prang a few months later  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Have you ever heard of The  Prudential, at one time it was THE company
now their policies are under written by Churchill, and on December 10 it wil move to UK insurance (UKI), both part of the Royal Bank of Scotland  see http://ukitransfer.com
Fixes: 121

Didn't most families have the 'man from the Pru' on their doorstep at sometime or other?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@Mav My old contents insurance was with Bank of Scotland, they send a letter a month before its contract is up warning that its due for renewal and that if you don't cancel before that date, it will be renewed automatically.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I changed my car just under 3 years ago, changed the policy details to cover the new car (with the same registration number - private plate transfer) then a few months later got a renewal reminder (you will be charged if you don't cancel) for the old vehicle that no longer even existed with the registration number on the documentation.  The same company were insuring my new car with the same registration, turns out they had continued the DD for the old vehicle and also for the new one (my fault for not checking bank account more carefully I suppose), needless to say I cancelled both and took out a new policy elsewhere, took ages to get a refund for the duplicate payments.  Perhaps I should have told them that the non-existent vehicle must have been stolen.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.