cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ofcom Ban - Could this happen to Plusnet?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 38

Ofcom Ban - Could this happen to Plusnet?

I read this article on the BBC website yesterday where Ofgem have banned Economy Energy from taking on new customers until it improves its customer service.

Now I wonder if Ofcom could do this to an ISP, I suspect they can so it may only be a matter of time before Plusnet are subjected to this action if things don’t improve. The content within these fora are all full of service and billing issue woes that won't go unnoticed.

14 REPLIES
Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Ofcom Ban - Could this happen to Plusnet?

My LRS is due for renewal soon, I'm contemplating not renewing for ease of moving ISP.

Having said that I have had no real Plusnet related problems recently,  and some previous customers appear to have problems cutting the cord.

Is the grass really greener elsewhere ?

Community Veteran

I'm a bit like you @Infinity, I am more than happy with my service and thankfully the billing of my accounts hasn't fallen victim to the gremlins in the system.

But I honestly do not think that Plusnet can continue in its current mode, there is evidently something wrong with the 'back office' system and services and these need to be addressed as soon as practical, as no doubt something will 'give' under the strain!

As for the grass being greener, that's all down to ones perception of colour of course. For me, the grass is as green as it has ever been, something I'm more than happy about. The only thing that would enhance it is in the shape of IPv6.

Fixes: 188

As the old joke says: The grass is greener on the other side because it has been fertilized with Bull poo.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Well @Strat it's new enough that I've not heard it before, but how very, very apt.

8BKA
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Mook said

Now I wonder if Ofcom could do this to an ISP, I suspect they can so it may only be a matter of time before Plusnet are subjected to this action if things don’t improve. The content within these fora are all full of service and billing issue woes that won't go unnoticed.

I think even if PlusNet not stopped from recruiting new consumers they will be given a very large fine which will not really bother PlusNet/BT because they will just increase charges etc so they can pay shares holders their dividends 

The banks also will have reported PlusNet to the Banking Ombudsman with all the problems they have had with incorrect direct debits which  were for much more than the statements and even for accounts closed months ago which have had to be sorted and refunded due to Direct Debit Guarantee causing the banks more work/costs

Not good what ever way you look at it all blamed on a new accounts system not tested TSB comes to mind

Brian A

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Luzern
All Star

Economy Energy are one of several small energy suppliers, which are in straits due to taking on too many clients than they could handle. They also have been unable to cope with the rise in spot wholesale prices on which they were dependant, as they had not hedged their supply costs like the established suppliers. Customers of EE have large sums owing them for many months. Those and amounts payable from both still active or failed entities are protected by a levy on all suppliers, so indirectly on our costs.

Plusnet is most certainly unlike EE et al, being a well capitalized company within the BT Group, which despite its shortcomings is not known to have failed to meet any of its liabilities.

I'm sorry @Mook, but I think the idea behind the OP is not on. Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
RobPN
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Luzern wrote:

Plusnet is most certainly unlike EE et al, being a well capitalized company within the BT Group, ...

Isn't EE also a BT company?

Or are you referring to Economy Energy?  Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@Mook wrote:

I am more than happy with my service

As are many of us but........ I suppose it comes down to our definition of service.

If it's someone flicking a switch and giving us a broadband connection then it's a loud hooray.

But if it's really the service you get when something goes wrong then looking around that's a lingering persistent boooooo.

Cut and paste repeated sorrys and apologies don't count nor do the promised call backs and replies to pm's that routinely fail to materialise.

Is there any point to the service status pages? Where's the announcement of the billing problems? Expected fixed by dates?

And if a customer said to plusnet sorry the money was a bit short this month I promise to have it sorted next month and the next month and the next..............

How would that go down?

jgb
Aspiring Pro

@billnotben Yes, I see very little point to the Service Status pages. Nothing has ever featured regarding the billing system fiasco and, currently, the Service Status page tells me that the last update on the Email / Webmail running slowly was 325 days ago!

Community Veteran

I understand what you’’re saying @Luzern, and I agree they are two different market places but I was raising the point that it may be a possibility that a similar action could happen against Plusnet if enough noise is generated.

What is happening on these fora especially with regard to billing is quite shocking and simply should not be happening, there are horror stories on here that King, Herbert, Hitchcock et al would be proud of, hence my questioning of the possibility of such a sanction befalling Plusnet.

You are of course correct @billnotben, it is down to one's interpretation. Each time I have had a service issue it has, to date at least, always been resolved in a timely manner and to everyone’s satisfaction, but this is not true for everyone, that is evident.

daveplus
Rising Star

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/billing covers the Ofcom position on billing and charging problems. Although they don't deal with individual complaints, there is a link at the bottom of the page to a form for individual complaints which could, if enough people give information, provide a reason for Ofcom to investigate Plusnet.

Luzern
All Star

Being controversial again, I'll suggest, present company excepted of course, that many customer problems in all service suppliers are caused by customers' problems with accurate expression of the problem, lack of records and the like, as much as the supplier's being difficult. Of course a few on both sides can be just sanguinary minded. Or thick!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

That may well be true in some cases @Luzern but I do think that they would represent a tiny fraction of the support calls. The supplier should be familiar enough with their systems and services to know what to do when a user calls in to say “my internet’s broken”.

Regardless of how articulate or the colour of their mindedness there should be ( and undoubtedly are) protocols in place that allow the staff member to assist in the diagnosis of their issue.

However, your argument falls down even further in the case of the Plusnet billing system where no customer has any influence, it is broken and until it is fixed the current situation will only be aggravated by it.

Luzern
All Star

We shall disagree then. Smiley I still think that in proportion to customer bases, the problems with PN are less than with Econ Energy, Iresa and the like. That applies to values involved too.

Whether the system is broken is opinion; truly broken or inadequate? Company policy on discretion given to staff in settling disputes can be an element in quick resolution, This digresses from the ISP realm, but it seems that banks, which permit local staff some latitude, do better in customer satisfaction than those where HO policy rules. Where does PN stand thus wise?