cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd facts about CCTV

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Odd facts about CCTV

One of the most dramatic revelations is that both the Shetland Islands Council and Corby Borough Council - among the smallest local authorities in the UK - have more CCTV cameras than the San Francisco Police Department.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8159141.stm
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Odd facts about CCTV

Hardly unusual as we ARE in a Big Brother State after all, or is it a Nanny state or both.
You cannot drive on ANY main road in the UK and not be caught on camera somewhere, never mind walk down a high street or inside a store these days.
We are supposed to be part of the EU, with open borders between the members, BUT you still need a passport to leave the UK, WHY?
Community Veteran

nah.  the passport's to get back in. Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Interesting article just now on the Reg http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/21/neville_cctv/
'No more CCTV', cries top CCTV cop
Community Veteran

In the UK we have 1% of the world's population and 20% of the world's cctv cameras
One cctv camera for every 14 people
Community Veteran

A government obsessed with monitoring our every move.  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I suppose from a positive point of view, it does keep a fair number of people employed; But though, I have noticed that occasionally that when there is an event (accidental, criminal etc.) the CCTV is mysteriously not working or looking in the wrong direction.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ biker955
I think artificer is correct...... you do not need a british passport, (or any other passport) to leave Britain..... but you will need it to get back in again....  Undecided
Community Veteran

But the airline may refuse to carry you if they know the destination won't allow you entry without one.
Community Veteran

Just try getting on a plane to leave the country without a passport, you won't be going very far.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I get asked for my passport to open a bank account, to take my money out of my bank account.
I even have to have my passport photocopied for temporary work in the local school - I think this somehow
proves that I'm not a paedophile (although I can't quite follow the logic here).

Community Veteran

Rather ironic that the government tried to bring in ID cards that could be used for some things that previously needed a passport - i.e it's a fromal photo ID - like several other countries in Europe have - but now they have binned the idea for a while.
A credit card size ID is easier to carry around than a passport.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Until you lose it Cry
Or it gets nicked Cry
Or copied Cry

Community Veteran

Indeed - but all those things can happen to an existing passport.
At least it fits in a wallet or whatever - even the new EU passports can be awkward to carry around if you don't have a jacket or similar on.
and I'm sure the hundreds of millions on the continent have been living with them for years.
Community Veteran

Even with one of the new ID cards you would not be able to travel outside the UK without a passport