cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd eReader problem

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Odd eReader problem

I've had my eBook reader for sometime which comes from a very well known source. And noted early this morning it wouldn't connect wi-fi telling me the logon (router) password failed . To my acute surprise their service department was working (and busy -Boxing Day-) today.
Having pointed out that there are two readers in this house (SWMBO has an identical model) both use the same router and password. Mrs petlew's worked correctly.
Customer services led me through a check list, most of which I had tried before calling. Then came the oddity; "have you tried resetting your router?" I replied "why should that matter, the second device is working well" Anyway the conclusion was that the reader was probably faulty, but would I reset the router anyway.
So after the call I thought I would humour him and did as requested and reset the router. lo and behold! to my surprise it cured the problem (albeit temporarily) a few hours later the same thing occurred and the same fix.
So, where should I be looking for a permanent fix, the reader or the router? Needless to say, my reader is the only wi-fi device here (of 4) that gives any trouble.
Edit: I've just checked, it has failed again.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Odd eReader problem

Are you using DCHP or fixed IP's for you network?  If fixed are both trying to use the same IP address?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Thanks for your response Gus.
Consider this if you will; I discovered late yesterday that my reader only failed to connect with my wi-fi network if my wi-fi enabled laptop PC was switched on!! Now that is something quite new as I have had both for sometime and its never bothered the reader before.
So something must have changed with the PC it seems. Wracking the grey-matter remembered that a short while ago, following advice on this forum I installed the very powerful SuperAntispyware that cured a problem I was having at the time. This was the only known change to the PC for some time.
I was advised that once SuperAntispyware had been used I should uninstall it as it could cause conflicts elsewhere. Which I did after use. However I used it again at the beginning of last week but this time didn't remove it, as it didn't "seem" to be causing any problems.
So really as a bit of a long-shot today I uninstalled the SuperAntispyware. And all the indications are that it has cured the problem with the reader wi-fi connection. Not content with this I re-installed SuperAntispyware, finding again that until the router was reset the reader wouldn't connect as per the OP. Uninstalling the SuperAntispyware again cured the problem.
The only difference to all this was that if the PC was switched off, and the router reset to allow the reader to connect, if the reader was left with the wi-fi connection on and then the PC was switched on (with SuperAntispyware active) the reader would stay connected as normal. then if the reader wi-fi connection was then switched off, it would not connect again until the router had been reset.
Anyone care to comment other than pointing out the obvious that the SuperAntispyware "seems" to be the cause?

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
prichardson
Grafter

Are you using WPA/WPA2 for your wireless security?
Not had this issue specifically for quite a number of years, back when I first got an Airport Express (the non-N model).
Re-key events, essentially a mechanism to change the wireless key periodically and automatically with devices that are online. I don't to this day know if it was the Airport Express itself, or my wireless card that didn't do it correctly (though both worked normally with other wireless cards, or wireless networks respectively).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Which e-book reader was it ?
I ask in case anyone else has this problem in the future.
Community Veteran

Kindle 2 (keyboard model)
Edit: WPA2