cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd behaviour?

johpal
Grafter

Odd behaviour?

Last week, at my workplace, a colleague had her purse stolen from an  unattended office. The thief, posing as a bank official,  then rang the office, informing her of an "unauthorised transaction on her account" and requested her PIN number for verification. You can guess the rest and my colleague is now nursing a £600 headache, after a cash withdrawal from her account: lesson learnt!
Now the odd part. This afternoon, a police officer visited, to investigate the incident. Did  I mention, I work in a hospital? As well as reviewing security tapes, the officer asked several members of staff (including me) a few questions. Without fail, the man refused to shake hands with anybody, claiming he was afraid of contracting swine 'flu.
Talk about being made to feel a leper! Whatever next? Should I be greeting everybody whilst wearing a full decontamination outfit? How would you feel, being greeted in such a way?  Crazy
12 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Odd behaviour?

What a stupid policeman!  No, you are are the leper nor should you have to worry - perhaps you should have asked him to get sprayed with antiseptic before he talked to you in case he gave it you!!
Fixes: 121

Not sure why that wasn't requested anyway.
On each of our recent visits when my father was in hospital it was always pointed out that we should disinfect our hands as we entered the ward and then again when we left.
Not sure of the benefit as everyone was soon touching & holding their bags, phones, etc. just as they were before disinfecting their hands so any germs could easily have been transferred back again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Lurker
Grafter

You can't get Swine Flu by touch.
Only by transferring the virus from your hands into your nose/mouth could this happen.
You are more likely to catch it from somebody sneezing than by touch, unless of course you don't wash your hands before eating, or you have a habit of biting your nails or picking your nose...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
Not sure of the benefit as everyone was soon touching & holding their bags, phones, etc. just as they were before disinfecting their hands so any germs could easily have been transferred back again.

Well said!
Quote from: James_G
or you have a habit of biting your nails or picking your nose...

Exactly and how many of us do that without realising it or touch the rim of a mug when making a hot drink..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jmd
Grafter

Well, I do some voluntary work at my local hospital and so I have clean my hands with the antiseptic stuff going in and out of a Ward, but I see staff going about not doing that.......... also the stuff you put on hands is tacky sometimes and so when you go to the door you are putting some on the door handle.
However, I am not allowed to touch the patients as I have not done the "manual handling course" so not as using the antiseptic is worthwhile anyway!
Community Veteran

Quote from: johpal
Now the odd part. This afternoon, a police officer visited, to investigate the incident. Did  I mention, I work in a hospital? As well as reviewing security tapes, the officer asked several members of staff (including me) a few questions. Without fail, the man refused to shake hands with anybody, claiming he was afraid of contracting swine 'flu.

Well, I have worked with the police quite a bit - and I'm not sure if they do shake hands while out on the beat as it were ?
But in office situations they invariably did shake hands
I don't see it as something to worry about !! ?
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: jmdlp
Well, I do some voluntary work at my local hospital and so I have clean my hands with the antiseptic stuff going in and out of a Ward, but I see staff going about not doing that.......... also the stuff you put on hands is tacky sometimes and so when you go to the door you are putting some on the door handle.
However, I am not allowed to touch the patients as I have not done the "manual handling course" so not as using the antiseptic is worthwhile anyway!

Antibacterial - not Antiseptic.
Remember - you aren't using it to protect anybody other than yourself.
The net effect of protecting yourself is that you also don't pass it on to somebody else, but personal hygiene is all about looking after your most important asset - your own health!
johpal
Grafter

@mal0z
I'm not worried; the fear and ignorance of the police officer is his burden to bear.
Sometimes, from "my side of the fence", it is difficult to know how "the public" percieve risk. I just wanted a "reality check". Working on the front line of healthcare, I am routinely exposed to all kinds of infections, particularly from children, who cough in your face. Of course, we take measures, as James_G points out, to protect ourselves and others. How far do we go? Mask, gowns and gloves, a plastic "bubble" suit? I'd just find it so sad to lose the human touch.
As for the policeman, his social shunning could be perceived as a barrier, preventing important information coming forward.
Community Veteran

Do you shake hands with the postman, ticket collector at railway station, bus driver, shop assistant etc -
i don't see it odd that policeman doesn't shake hands at all !
Fixes: 121

We do around here. Trouble is we get post once a week and it takes a three day round trip to do our shopping Grin

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jmd
Grafter

Quote from: johpal
Sometimes, from "my side of the fence", it is difficult to know how "the public" percieve risk. I just wanted a "reality check". Working on the front line of healthcare, I am routinely exposed to all kinds of infections,

When I worked in the JobCentre we got used to having our "clients" coughing and sneezing over us..............that was the least of our concerns regarding some people's behaviour!
However, many of us suffered from constant colds ourselves due to this, but could not take time off to be sick [otherwise you were classed as inefficient] so therefore we would pass it back to the clients [and other staff!].
johpal
Grafter

@Mal0z
When somebody is ushered into my office and formally introduced, I automatically stand and extend my hand in greeting, policeman, or whatever!  Huh