cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Odd) Memory Triggers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

(Odd) Memory Triggers

I was pouring myself a coffee from the machine when a bubble formed on one of the outlets. This instantly reminded me of a time back in primary school when I was sitting at the dinner table. I can’t recall what we were talking about but I guess it must have been funny as the boy across from me blew the largest, greenest bogie bubble I’d ever seen. Of course due to the laws of physics this bubble burst, most of which went in to his custard. He either didn’t notice or didn’t care as he continued and finished his food.

Has anything odd triggered a memory for you? Or maybe has anything triggered an odd memory for you?

36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: (Odd) Memory Triggers

Many times........ but the memory fails me, to recall them for the forum ! Huh

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

i keep getting them de ja vu moments Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@rongtw - Not the first time you've said that! Funny

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I sometimes find that certain smells can trigger memories or emotions from when i was a kid. Like many kids I had school dinners which I really enjoyed for the most part but there was one pudding which I really didn't care for that much, 'Lemon Sponge' pudding. I can still remember that nasty artificial lemon taste which was really strong, I'm reminded of this every time I wash the floor with Lemon Flash! Same smell and probably same flavour too!

Another similar reminder I get is from those round lemon scented discs you often see in the gents urinals, they always bring back memories of Polo mints. I not sure why but it might have been that there always seemed to be a half sucked one in our school urinals. I'm not a fan of Polos and especially those lemon flavoured ones..,  for obvious reasons! 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I hate the smell of oak......Please do not read further if you are easily upset. (Seriously)

When I was very young it was not uncommon for coffins to be kept in the house for several days so friends and relatives could come and see them for the last time and I can clearly remember the strong smell of oak when I was lifted up to look at a distant relative...guess I must have been 5 or 6 years old.

Nothing to do with being frightened, I guess it must be some link between the smell and losing someone, sadly as I have got older that association between the smell of oak and coffins has only been reinforced.

Sorry to sound so morbid.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

The smell of furniture polish does it for me and takes me back to the time I spent in a children's home back in the 50s where they always seemed to be waxing those parquet floors, and then the sound of squeaking of plimsolls as we walked across them afterwards.

Back then you could go down the shops with half a crown and come back with four pounds of potatoes, two loaves of bread, three bottles of milk, a big lump of cheese, half a dozen eggs, and twenty Woodbines. You can't do that now of course, too many security cameras. Wink   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I wouldn't worry about it too much Gleneagles, unless you have a small fortune to spend most coffins in spite of appearances are made from good old MDF these days. Which incidentally if you're planning one is not allowed in natural/woodland burials.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

gleneagles wrote:

When I was very young it was not uncommon for coffins to be kept in the house for several days so friends and relatives could come and see them for the last time and I can clearly remember the strong smell of oak when I was lifted up to look at a distant relative...guess I must have been 5 or 6 years old.

That smell was more likely embalming fluid (formaldehyde) used to preserve the body and prevent it smelling. It was used commonly by undertakers and school biology labs years ago although I doubt if it's still allowed in schools due to the associated Cancer risks. Not a pleasant smell but you never forget it and I suppose a quick whiff might smell like fresh wood.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman

Thanks for that reminder Thumbs Up Your mention of parquet flooring reminded me of primary school, I loved that place! Our school hall had a lovely parquet floor and after the summer holidays it had usually been given a fresh coat of varnish or polish, not sure which but yes it did smell nice.

I very often get reminders of that school, the smell of warm rubber often reminds me of our PE lessons when we all wore those horrid black plimsolls. Similarly the taste of fresh milk often reminds me of when we used to have those little milk bottles at break time, shame we can't still get those.

What ever happened to the cream on the top of our milk bottles I wonder? Back in those days it wasn't uncommon to fetch the milk off the doorstep in the morning only to find a pair of bluetits (had to join the words to avoid censorship) had been pecking at the top to get at the cream.

Fixes: 47

At a company where I used to work I was involved in the annual servicing of a couple of very large boilers used to supply superheated steam to processes throughout the factory.

During the strip-down some oil was used and the smell from the mixture of oil and steam brought back memories of steam locomotive days.

A couple of colleagues of a similar age agreed that it was a pleasant experience.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@MKSlinky

Not sure if I imagined it but I seem to recall reading somewhere that MDF contained formaldehyde?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Yes that's true but maybe not nowadays. Formaldehyde is a natural occurring substance and is found in many products.

Do you remember the scare over cavity wall insulation? Same thing., the white foam they used to pump into the cavities gave off harmful fumes. Formaldehyde is also present in cigarette smoke. 

There's an interesting fact sheet here: https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/materials/formaldehyde_508.pdf

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

@MKSlinky  I think all whole milk is now homogenised so no cream at the top for you or the bluetits.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Jonpe

Yes perhaps but I just realised why I don't have cream, I buy Semi Skilled milk Doa'h!!

Just Googled what homogenised milk is exactly...

Homogenized Milk. The process of homogenizing of milk involves mixing the cream content into the milk itself. Where does the cream come from? Well, when you milk a cow the cream flows to the top. During the homogenization process, the fat from the cream is broken down so it is absorbed into the milk