Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

(Odd) Memory Triggers

Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: (Odd) Memory Triggers

• Whole milk (around 3.5–4% fat)
  • Semi-skimmed milk (around 2.5% fat)  (Wikipedia)

So there would still be some cream at the top of your semi-skimmed if it hadn't been homogenised.

Hero
Fixes: 1

Morning porridge made with whole milk lovely jubbly. As for semi skimmed, that belongs in the bottom of a tea cup.   

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman

It's what you get used to, I always did have full fat milk on cereal years ago but now if I taste it I can feel the fat layer around my mouth, it's not pleasant.

I'm strictly a full fat Goats milk boy now for cereals, the taste is more luxurious than cows milk and without the horrid fatty taste.

My mum once told me that as a baby I bit one of her boobies and so I ended up being bottle fed on watered down Carnation Milk, I still love it's taste (Carnation Milk that is) Thumbs Up

Moderator Moderator
Fixes: 76

Mmmmmm Carnation Milk on tinned peaches in syrup.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Moderator Moderator
Fixes: 31

Mmmmm

Get the car warmed up James we're going to Aldi.

Rising Star
Fixes: 1

One of my favourite treats as a yoof was slices of raspberry swiss roll surrounded by a sea of carnation milk (I say surrounded, because it became a bit 'icky' if it got too soggy, although in my student days I used to demolish an entire swiss roll and large tin of 'evap' at one sitting, so I often felt a bit 'icky' anyway! Sad)

Moderator Moderator

I used to devour a large M & S Jam-filled swiss roll drowned in custard back in the day.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Superuser
Fixes: 21

@Mav, you really mean last week, but don't want to admit it. Wink

Seasoned Pro

Here's a great summer treat for all you Carnation Milk lovers. My dearly departed Nan used to make me this when I was younger, it's a great treat for children and adults alike..

Ingredients

1 x Tin Carnation Milk

1 x Pack of Jelly (Any flavour)

1/2 Pint of Boiling Water

Method

• Using a 1 Pint measuring jug, dissolve the Jelly Cubes into half a pint of boiling water then allow to cool slightly (but not set)
  • Add the Carnation Milk to make up the 1 Pint mixture. 
  • Pour the mixture into a pudding basin and using a hand blender mix until the liquid becomes frothy and full of bubbles. Continue whisking for several minutes.
  • Now cover and place in the fridge until set.

If done right the resulting desert should have a very light mousse like bubbly texture which melts in the mouth and best of all it's so creamy the whole family will enjoy it.

Moderator Moderator

@MKSlinky

That is known in our family as jelly-Libby's.

Very creamy and light. Nice if you place fresh fruit in the bottom of some glass tumblers with the rims coated in sugar then the jelly-Libby's scooped over. Makes for a very light but filling individual sweet.

Highlighted
Community Gaffer Community Gaffer
Fixes: 45

Memory triggers for me would be ...

The smell of new leather shoes in Clarks - been taking my 2 year old recently and it triggered some old memories of getting school shoes.

Artificial cinnamon flavouring - grew up in RAF bases in Germany that had an American Exchange shop and Big Red chewing gum was my favourite when I was 9 or 10 years old.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Superuser
Fixes: 21

@jaread83 - Not recommended for the little one, but if you’re wanting to save some money on shoes then I’d recommend https://www.clarksoutlet.co.uk/ for adults, as our feet aren’t going to change in size.

Great shoes and even greater prices.

Community Gaffer Community Gaffer
Fixes: 45

Looks good but I only go there for properly fitted shoes for the little one (and I don't mind the prices for his developing little feet). I got plenty of good leather shoes already as my feet haven't grown in years. I tend to wear trainers every day anyway which means my nice smart shoes stay looking brand new!

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Seasoned Pro

@Mav

Yes I think it goes by other names too. Actually I thought this was something my Nan had invented but a quick Google revealed lots of versions of the same desert. Must have been something handed down from older generations.

Another she did which was really nice was 'Summer Pudding'. She would line a pudding basin with slices of bread and then fill the middle with freshly cooked apple and blackberry and the top it with custard and leave to set. The bread would soak up a lot of the flavours and go a nice purple colour. I might try doing this with rhubarb next time someone gives me a few sticks.

Seasoned Pro

@jaread83

Hmm leather shoes, that's a lovely smell. I like fresh sawn timber too. I used to work for the railways years ago in their sawmills and one of my jobs was laminating full sheets of plywood with real wood veneers. We used a giant heated hydraulic press to bond the panels, some woods gave off a wonderful smell when heated which always reminded me of sweet shops. It was handy for warming your meat pie at lunch time too though I got caught out once when someone pressed the button and promptly squashed it. Cry