cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obesity

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Obesity

I Guess the majority of the population are a little overweight but one program on ITV the other night was about people grossly overweight who had to have reinforced ambulances to get them to hospital.
What I could not understand is that these people were unable to get up and about so their care was provided by a number of agencies one of which would include providing meals, now to maintain or increase weight the number of calories taken in a day would have to remain the same or be higher so why was a calorie controlled diet not used to reduce their weight ?
In rare circumstances a medical condition might cause someone to retain excessive fluid in their system (say kidney failure) but this would be a small minority and my view an appropriate diet would be an essential requirement for anyone overweight who required supporting services.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Obesity

I agree with you on that one gleneagles.  Recently there was a case where a woman took her local authority to court to demand they provided services to shop, cook and housekeep for her at an estimated cost of £10,000 per annum. She found it difficult to move because of her weight.  If she had cared for herself a little perhaps that would have taken care of part of her weight problem.
Community Veteran

An idea of what this costs those of us who pay tax:
Special Ambulances

.......and more here:
recently the Yorkshire Ambulance Service spent almost £10 million on specially equipped ambulances that can not only transport obese people but also make use of special winches to lift them up into the vehicles. Yorkshire has the highest number of obese people per capita in the UK.  Some obese people are so heavy even four men holding a stretcher are unable to safely get them inside and there have been complaints that it is not only dangerous for the patients but also the ambulance workers.
It is not only ambulances which have been required but also stronger stretchers which cost over £8,000 each and even custom designed wide stretchers costing almost £14,000 each. Other equipment purchased at great cost includes reinforced lifting equipment, wheelchairs and beds. It is estimated that the NHS will end up spending as much as £2 billion annually for obesity related expenses.
annerimmington
Grafter

I don`t have much sympathy for grossly overweight people who refuse to try and diet.   It`s all about will power.   They obviously don`t place much value on their health otherwise they would try and lose weight.     I saw a programme recently about this morbidly obese teenager in the US (where obesity has reached epidemic proportions and we are slowly catching them up)  who was bedridden because of his size (he was something like 40 stones)  and his mother (also obese) was feeding the kid huge amounts of junk food.    She was warned by doctors she was slowly killing him but still she fed him junk and he had to be taken into hospital in the end to have his food monitored.    
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But is it about will power in these cases ?
These people are unable to prepare their own meals so others have to do it for them so should the responsibility not rest with those responsible for this task ? I don't mean the actual individual who feeds them but the person who employs them.
They should simply be told here is a menu and you can select certain items up to a certain calorific value and no more and that would be that.
Before anyone mentions human rights I cannot go into hospital and demand more food than I am given and I suspect if I was hospitalised because of my weight then a Doctor/Dietician would decide what amount I could have.
There are many people suffering from genuine illnesses that are unable to get treatment as the funds are not available and apart from exceptional cases I do not see obesity as an illness.
When I was a young Lad I cannot think of anyone I knew or came into contact with who was grossly overweight.