cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG.... Now they literally want to turn off the lights...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

OMG.... Now they literally want to turn off the lights...

It was just on the news. They (sorry didn't get who) now literally want to turn off the light in the Beachy head LIGHT HOUSE!  Roll eyes Cheesy
What on earth is happening to this countryHuh
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: OMG.... Now they literally want to turn off the lights...

"They" will be Trinity House.
Lighthouses are in many cases redundant these days due to other technologies being better and cheaper.
Community Veteran

Yeah I realise that but GPS has faults. Lighthouses are still a very basic and world known method of protecting ships from coastal accidents.
I really can't believe they want to turn it off!
It'll be tunnels in subways next.
Lurker
Grafter

Beachy Head Lighthouse
Discontinue all Aids to Navigation at this station in conjunction with increasing the range of the light at Royal Sovereign lighthouse to 24nm

Taken from their recently published consultation document.
http://www.trinityhouse.co.uk/aids_to_navigation/the_task/user_consultation.html
Replacing is not as dramatic as reporting only half of the story!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That is not Replacing that is getting 1 Lighthouse to do the job of 2 Lighthouses.
Lurker
Grafter

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50%C2%B0+43'+N+00%C2%B0+26'+E&sll=51.5...
If you could previously see one lighthouse, and you can now see one lighthouse - what are you losing exactly?
Community Veteran

In preparation for a G Brown election win, started turning the lights out.
talking of lighthouses:- assume we've all seen

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: James_G
If you could previously see one lighthouse, and you can now see one lighthouse - what are you losing exactly?

1) The Lighthouses are in 2 different  locations.
2) The Light from the Lighthouse will not cover the same arier it is not possible to cover the arier of both Lighthouses!
3) There will be blind spots where you can not see the Light from the Lighthouse!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: James_G
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=50%C2%B0+43'+N+00%C2%B0+26'+E&sll=51.516268,-0.095594&sspn=0.009988,0.027874&ie=UTF8&ll=50.709939,0.430183&spn=0.162621,0.445976&t=h&z=12&iwloc=near

Probably your life.......................
Especially if your super dooper electronics fail, and your gps/radar/radio don`t work......(no matter what size vessel you are)
and also.....
If you are silly enough to go to sea in a small yacht, without proper (up to the minute/latest technology) navigational aids, you need to be able to see two points of reference, to establish your position.
take one away, and you only know which direction that point is, not how far away from it you are....
Oh Yes.... there are some people who are silly enough to buy a yacht, and go to sea, with no sea experience or training, but may have read a few books and possibly think they can read a chart, and do coastal navigation......they are the sort of people that probably would not have a gps or radar or even a VHF radio..... if they did have them, they probably would not know how to use them properly....
So my original remark still stands....."what are you losing exactly?"..... Possibly your life....
Community Veteran

Have any of you guys actually done any professional sea navigation ? -
do you honestly think Trinity House would do something to endanger sea safety - well OK maybe - but I doubt it and they are CONSULTING the maritime community.
And the paper says:
Generally, the lights system can be considered a complementary but secondary system to GNSS.

Generally, having one light in view is acceptable.

Generally, a maximum range of 18 miles is considered sufficient for all lights. However due to geographical locations, lights with a maximum range up to 24nm may still be required.
"In December 2008, the IMO Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) approved an E-Navigation strategy. Whilst the end result and the timeframe to complete are not certain, nonetheless navigational technology continues to advance. At the same time, the reliance on the traditional system of lighthouses around the coast diminishes. With the exception of leading lights and “PELS”, landfall lights and passing lights are now less important and their primary function is for coastal navigation, confirmation of position and spatial awareness. Thus the “traditional” AtoN's can be regarded as a secondary but complementary system to the primary navigation system of GNSS."

Community Veteran

@mal: The way cost cutting in this country is going YES I do think they'd do something that stupid.
Remember this is the country that has ordered its own authorities to cut down on salt spreading at the time when WE NEED IT!
Logic in the UK does not exist anymore. I read a post here the other day where someone said would the last person to leave the UK please turn out the lights. Well, here we are, you leave via the coast and the lighthouse is the closest light to be turned off! How ironic.
Community Veteran

It's not just a UK project - it's happening worldwide.
So be careful where you go when you leave - you might not find a light at your destination Smiley
Aids to navigation have played a critical role in all parts of the world for over 2000 years. Today, lighthouses, light vessels and seamarks have largely been replaced by sophisticated electronic equipment. Most are de-manned or have been de-commissioned altogether.
http://www.worldlighthouses.org/organisation.htm

Fixes: 47

Will the last ship past please turn out the light Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I see no ships  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Only hardships !  Cheesy