cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OJ Simpson

Steve
Pro

OJ Simpson

OJ Simpson has been granted parole and now he looks like he will be released and free by October. He was sentenced to 33 years in 2008 for armed robbery and he has served nine. Some reckon they sentence was harsh. 

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUyWS6j5rS4

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: OJ Simpson

I suspect if he was not some well known person or had the backing of some well known person(s) he would have ended up doing at least half of that sentence.

There are many other non white prisoners in the US doing much longer sentences for less that his crime, including some who have been convicted on questionable evidence and in our courts would have been found not guilty.

White and rich in America puts you in a more favourable position in the courts unless your crime involves other rich people you have swindled money or property from.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Steve wrote:

Thoughts?

Will there be another Naked Gun movie? Crazy

Fixes: 125

Not unless they dig up Leslie Nielson and George Kennedy as no-one can replace their parts.Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

Been watching his parole hearing and when they mentioned his age, i had no idea he was 70!! looks in great shape for 70, must be all that pumping iron in the gym hall.

Community Veteran

I had forgotten all about him and didn't even know he was in prison.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles

"White and rich in America puts you in a more favourable position in the courts unless your crime involves other rich people you have swindled money or property from".

As does black rich and famous but there we are, a guy playing the race card and now the authorities backing down once again. He's not the brightest button in the box but he had some pretty smart lawyers who were able to confuse and outsmart the prosecution during that shamble of a trial for murder. 

Justice American style.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Steve
Pro

In this parole hearing I certainly;y didn't watch the ' authorities ' backing down. In fact the victim was also there and stood by OJ and they are close friends now. The parole board is so independent and their say is final that the only way to oust them is by impeachment. Sad state of affairs when you can't go and get your possessions from the thieving little git that stole em!!

The victim testifies here :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRVvO6Y-e-w

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well you may be right Steve, but that's the impression I got.

As for just getting his possessions, didn't he go armed and 'mob-handed'? Well yes he did, along with being called "Ignorant, arrogant and more than stupid" by the Judge at his trial.

He might have done his time for armed robbery and kidnap - and fair enough as far as it goes but for many, he literally got away with murder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ef18qnG5Wg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

billnotben wrote:

I had forgotten all about him and didn't even know he was in prison.

I thought he was inside for murdering his wife? Or am i getting confused with someone else?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

@7up

I thought the same thing. Then again I never really followed it but I do seem to remember it involved a long car chase?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

I linked a segment of the car chase in my op. Not related to this case but it was so infamous I decided to add it. OJ was cleared of murder on both counts. There was a good case against him but he hired his dreamteam and they cast doubt over the DNA evidence which if I remember correctly was the first time DNA had been used in a court.
Steve
Pro

Minivanman wrote:

He might have done his time for armed robbery and kidnap - and fair enough as far as it goes but for many, he literally got away with murder

Well if it was me I wouldn't take money from Simpson for that case but the Goldman family got a 33 million dollars payout. 

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

He was later in a civil case found "liable for the wrongful death of and battery against Goldman, and battery against Brown. Simpson was ordered to pay $33,500,000 in damages" (Wikipedia)

@Steve  I'm not sure they ever received the full amount.

All I remember is that the car chase overshadowed the opening of the FIFA World Cup in the US in 1994.  Where else would you hold such an event but in a nation where the sport is barely played, and who else would you choose to preside over the opening ceremony but that famous footballer Oprah Winfrey.