cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OIL Change

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

OIL Change

How often do you change (or get someone else) to change the Oil & Filter in your car.
Yes I Know the Handbook and workshop manuals give exact details such as 6000 miles or 12 months or whatever may be appropriate for your car but do you follow that advice to the letter. ?
If you have a service document which you want to keep up to date or you car is under guarantee then you are likely to stick to the recommended time/mileage but if these things do not apply do you still stick to these times ?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: OIL Change

I think my handbook recommends doing the oil and filter change every 12,000 ( could be 15,000) but I get "my man" to do it for me , every 10,000 and have done since I bought the car way back in 2004... now on 199,000 miles... so must have done some good ! ! ! .
PowerLee
Rising Star

I change mine once a year - im only doing 7k miles roughly between oil & filter changes.
I've got plenty of oil in stock from a previous job, genuine filter & drain plug washer is cheap enough & it only takes me about 15 minutes to do.
My handbook states oil & filter every 20k miles or 2 years, no way would I leave it that long.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In our run-about (small toyota), I get the garage to do it when they do the MOT, i.e. once a year, update the service log at same time, normally within recommended mileage.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I let my garage do oil changes at services. However I check the oil level very regularly as my Toyota Avensis uses quite a lot of it. Having metaphorically pinned the local Toyota main dealer up against a wall, I got him to admit the high oil usage is fairly normal for my car. It doesn't burn it (at least it doesn't leave trails of white smoke) and it doesn't leak it. My information is that it is burn-off in the cylinders.
Which probably means since the sump is quite small that the oil is changed at least once before the garage get to it.
It actually came from a reply in this forum that the handbook in fact recommends regular checks on the oil level.
Be warned if you have a Toyota, do not neglect it.
Edit/ I understand this is quite common with fast revving Japanese engines (not just Toyota) that use the very light 5/30 grade oil all year round.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I try when I have a car but the last couple of years have been hit and miss. My last car I bought in a bit of a state but i knew the engine and box were fairly indestructible. I overhauled the breather (eventually - when it conked out a dual carriageway lol) and changed the ATF as it was slipping a bit but in the 2.5 years I had it I never did the engine oil or the spark plugs. It still carried on ticking but thats swiss engineering for you. I heard of one volvo guy who didn't service his for five years and it carried on going quite happily  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

My Nissan Primera had it's MOT and service at the same time each year and the oil was always done then. My average annual mileage is under 6000.
I always went to the local dealer and made sure the service book was updated.
I will do the same with the Zafira. Actually Vauxhall do a 3, 4 or 5 year service plan where you pay a set amount monthly over the term - it doesn't include the cost of things like brakes, wipers, but does include oil, filters, plus and such. Although dealer services are a little more expensive than local garages I prefer it that way for peace of mind. But the service plan does include a free MOTs will will help in year 3 and 4 (I will probably take out the 4 year plan)

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well my old ford (TDCI) is still running happily on the oil change I gave it about 2+ years ago. Mind you if I do 3K a year it is something. This change every nnn miles is a bit much with SYNTHETIC oil, maybe for mineral oil it is needed. I check the oil level semi-regularly and need to keep the water topped up but otherwise it is a solid box.
It was serviced from a MD every service up to 90K when I lost my job and had no money for the £200/400 services.
I have a new oil filter and a new fuel filter to fit got a service pack when I needed an air filter, cheaper to buy the pack than a single AF Crazy
Fixes: 47

My Megané gets oil, filters and plugs changed once a year regardless of mileage.
When I was working I averaged 10,000 miler per year.
Since I retired I average 5,000 miles per year.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

When I was working I averaged 30K a year (mostly commute) now it is chauffeur service (for SHMBO), and shopping and now I couldn't afford to commute to work with the price of fuel.
nadger
Rising Star

In my 60k a year days I changed oil virtually every month.
Now I don't even do 3k per year so once every 2 years is fine.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
Well my old ford

Ford make very solid engines IMO. I'd rate them up there with Volvo to be honest. My partner has a Ka and despite everything else rusting to bits and dropping off, the engine has been rock solid for the last 4 years without so much as an oil or plug change. I did offer to do the changes but this was always met with a "maybe next month" type stalling tactic. I stopped offering eventually but the thing still goes without any major issue. Granted the clutch is pretty shot along with a couple of other things but the engine and gearbox are still solid. When you consider its done 40k and never had any servicing  Shocked It was run dry once too. I went to check the oil level and it was absolutely bone dry. I put some more in via the oil cap and the sump was so dry I literally heard the oil hit the metal as the first large dollop fell into it  Roll eyes At that point swmbo got a bit worried but its carried on going with no ill effects it would seem.
Very good engines those ford lumps.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If you're not driving then this is the best oil change you can get: http://harviestoun.com/shop/products/old-engine-oil ; Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

One of those rarities that actually does not do what it says on the label ! ! ...  nice choice for a title though !