pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: OFCOM have done something useful - 3G coverage maps

Ta
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

OFCOM have done something useful -

Well almost!! It's just taken them 7 months to publish the information , which is now out of date I suspect.
and have you read the disclaimer.
The maps are provided without any representation or endorsement made and without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.

'any resemblence to the truth is purely coincidental' springs to mind...
Lurker
Grafter

Nobody will ever certify that information regarding mobile coverage is accurate - it depends on far too many things, ranging from environmental through to technical limitations.
You'll always have to accept that a lot of the info is supposition based upon the facts that are economically available.
itsme
Grafter

How about maps showing Edge coverage? I have never had problems finding information from the mobile companies on their 3G coverage but try finding Edge coverage is a different ball game. From my findings the 3G coverage maps will show me where Edge is not available and after that it's pot luck whether I get Edge over GPRS.
puddy
Grafter

Will this show me in the bathroom on the loo? its the only place in the house I can get a signal
puddy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Better still looking at the south coast most of the coverage is out at sea  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Nobody will ever certify that information regarding mobile coverage is accurate

Yes, I realise that , what I was really getting at is why is OFCOM wasting so much time and effort ( and our money!) in producing something that is no more useful than the suppliers maps.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: puddy
Will this show me in the bathroom on the loo? its the only place in the house I can get a signal

/Note to self. Never ever call Puddy on his mobile Shocked Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I made the mistake of gettiing a 3 dongle, they had very nice maps in the shop, but none on the Website, - the trouble was the shop map was a projected maybe map for the end of 2011, no current map available
Community Veteran

@Oldjim
Yes very good coverage for the yachies and shipping !.  after all they have a lot of money perhaps - or not after paying for their moorings !.
I seem to remember a conversation that cellular phone coverage is designed to provide good coastal coverage. Certainly better than making calls via VHF or even MF via the old coastal radio stations.
I've not crossed the channel for many years - but presume that there is British / French / Belgium cellphone coverage all the way across when at a decent height - say on the deck of a ferry ?Huh
Community Veteran

If you want coverage anywhere (anywhere with good line-of-sight to the sky anyway) a satellite phone can't be beat. Not the cheapest to use however...