Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OFCOM Report on Digital Radio

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

OFCOM Report on Digital Radio

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/08/more-on-climategate/60857/
and the critique
http://grantgoddardradioblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/lies-damned-lies-and-ofcoms-first.html
I liked this one
FIGURE 14
This Ofcom graph and accompanying text assert that:
• “DAB sets made up over a fifth (21%) of all radio sales by volume” in the year to Q1 2010
• “In the portable market, DAB sets accounted for 65% of sales.”
However, Ofcom omitted to point out that:
• Fewer DAB radios had been sold in 2009 than in 2008
• DAB radios were a lower proportion of total radios sold in 2009 than in 2008
• Its reference to “the portable market” is limited strictly to ‘portable radios’ of the type used in kitchens. There is not a single mobile phone on sale in the UK that includes DAB radio, and the vast majority of portable media players that include radio do not have DAB radio.
16 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: OFCOM Report on Digital Radio

I bought my Daughter a portable DAB radio about the size of a small MP3 player a few years ago.
She still uses it when out and about.
Also for Christmas I bought her a DAB radio of the kitchen type referred to above which is on daily in her flat.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
randpwar
Grafter

We also have the type of DAB radio you mention in the kitchen and a CD/DAB/FM combination in the lounge, consequently, apart from when in the car, we only listen to the radio via DAB. 6Music is a favourite and I can barely confine my joy when I don’t have to listen to the shipping forecast at 12 noon and 6pm whilst listening to Test Match Special!!
Interested in the gadget Strat bought and wouldn’t mind a DAB/ ipod player for the car if such a thing exists.
My (very little) understanding of the objections to DAB is that it is hyped up to deliver cd quality broadcast but cannot do so as it is constrained by having a smaller (lesser?) than necessary ‘bandwidth’ available to it by legislation and therefore it is no clearer than FM. I don’t doubt some people are frustrated by this lack of quality of broadcast but have to say that it does everything I need; in the kitchen I just need it burbling away and the quality is fine to my ‘untrained’ ears in the lounge. Now for the car…..

Community Veteran

We have a DAB/FM radio in our kitchen too.
It's only ever used on FM, the DAB signal is dreadful in our area.  Angry
Community Veteran

Can you imagine the problem when we have to have DAB radios - we're all going to have a problem with our car radios.  I read that it could cost a few hundred pounds to install one Undecided Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: randpwar
Interested in the gadget Strat bought and wouldn’t mind a DAB/ ipod player for the car if such a thing exists.

Indeed it does. Pure make the device you are looking for, that fits to the windscreen like a Sat-Nav, cordless connection to your existing radio (providing its not too old) an MP3/4, i-Pod player can be plugged into it if required. And pretty good it is too, if fiddly while driving.
Edit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/PURE-Highway-Car-Radio-Transmitter/dp/B0012GLXMU/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=elect...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
MrC
Grafter

One of the things that I find a bit off is that even the simplest DAB radios aren't that cheap and the cost of replacing all the FM radios in our house and 2 cars is way more than I can justify. Add into that the way DAB audio degrades in areas of poor reception and I can't help but feel the whole DAB thing is just an exercise for the radio makers to make money.
Plus DAB really doesn't give us anything extra for casual listening than FM does now - unlike say Internet radio which does.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm inclined to agree. However the threat is that AM/FM will be switched off in due course, which will leave little choice.
DAB is also very area sensitive. The Pure device I noted above, can be a pain on a longish run as it moves from one digital cell to another and needs to be re-tuned.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
randpwar
Grafter

I agree with Petlew (ps thanks for the head’s up about the ipod/DAB player  Smiley ) DAB is area sensitive. I took the thing down to north Devon a couple of years ago to keep up to date with the cricket whilst we were on holiday; retuned and got absolutely zilch. Speaking to the locals it seemed (at that time anyway) that DAB reception is virtually non-existent and even digital tv is not exactly great in that area
Community Veteran

I assume coverage will be improved as time goes on. Undecided
Community Veteran

I expect so, in the same way that I believe digital TV will be too – I'm pretty certain I once read something that said that the cessation of analogue TV transmission will allow the power to be boosted on the digital transmitters, thus increasing the reach/quality of the signal.
Community Veteran

Yes that's right and it's already happening with digital TV.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well in Chelmsford, advertised as the home of Radio after the Marconi Company,, and the headquarters of BBC Essex, That program can not be received on DAB as the local mast does not have the company that Broadcast BBC Essex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

WRT replacing car radios. I won  Cheesy an incar dab radio (the Highway) from Pure that converts the DAB signal into FM. It sits in a holder like a GPS, and punts the signal to your car radio on any frequency (88.0 -108Mhz) and includes RDS so it shows as Pure on the car radio.  
Works fine as long as the DAB signal is there, unfortunately round here that is much of a no no. I also hate the fact that Radio Scotland is NOT broadcast on DAB here, but it is in Edinburgh! SO I am stuck with a so-so fm signal.
I use a DAB/FM radio upstairs but my HI-FI receiver is FM only, but I have one of the old converters from Currys for there. I also have a portable DAB/MP3 player  Grin
FM was going it be phased out but I believe that they have given up on that at the moment.
Community Veteran

Just found these links:
Digital Radio
Digital TV