cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 network and subsidiaries (Tesco, Giffgaff etc)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

O2 network and subsidiaries (Tesco, Giffgaff etc)

O2 network has collapsed since about 6 am with about 32 million people affected. Caused by a worldwide fault apparently. I hope it's only technical and not malicious! Shocked

22 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 60

Re: O2 network and subsidiaries (Tesco, Giffgaff etc)

Curious, PN's network has had problems twice in the last week...Huh

Community Veteran

Now diagnosed as a software problem. How the heck does software manage to go faulty by itself?

Superuser
Superuser

It doesn't, but having been in software development for longer than I care to remember, I wish I had a fiver for every time I've traced  a fault in previously working software and said 'how the heck did that ever work'!

It's inevitably caused by a set of circumstances the software hasn't seen before...

Fixes: 173

@nozzer wrote:

O2 network has collapsed since about 6 am with about 32 million people affected. Caused by a worldwide fault apparently...

Allegedly caused by third party software and a suggestion of compensation likely to cost that third party dear.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

All those dependant systems going down as well.

Including the obvious ones like parking tickets.

How did we ever manage with just wage packets, money in our pockets, and a bus time table.

Fixes: 173

What about all those poor folk driving round with Google Maps on their phones and getting lost.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 64.0 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@Strat  GrinGrinGrin

Superuser
Superuser

So I've been fortunate so far and not lost complete mobile serviceSmiley I have a dual sim phone with a PN SIM as the main one and a Giffgaff one for backup calls/texts (not data). It's always useful to have access to different networks, in my case EE & O2 so that in areas of bad coverage (or outage) on one network there's always a chance the other will be ok.

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

I wonder what network the government chief whip is on?

idonno
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

So that's why the wife has been so quiet. No problems on my mobile (piggybacks on to Vodafone).

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

The timing is impeccable...

screenshot-930

Huawei's equipment is to be removed from the core of BT's existing 3G and 4G mobile networks and would not use the Chinese company in next generation 5G.

BT said Huawei's equipment had not been used in the core of its fixed-line network, and it was removing it from the core of the mobile networks it acquired when it bought operator EE.

screenshot-930

Britain's largest mobile provider revealed on Wednesday it was removing the equipment of China's telecoms giant Huawei from its 4G cellular network.

The move also comes after the head of MI6 foreign intelligence service this week singled out the Chinese company as a potential security risk.

Britain's MI6 head Alex Younger publicly questioned on Monday whether Huawei should be involved in the 5G platform.

"We need to decide the extent to which we are going to be comfortable with Chinese ownership of these technologies and these platforms in an environment where some of our allies have taken a very definite position," he said in a rare public address.

screenshot-930

The latest hit came on Wednesday, as Canada announced that chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou -- the daughter of founder Ren Zhengfei -- was arrested at the weekend as US authorities seek her extradition.

The Canadian justice ministry did not provide details about the charges, but US authorities are reportedly investigating whether Huawei violated sanctions against Iran by supplying parts to the country.

screenshot-930

China reacted furiously Thursday after a top executive and daughter of the founder of Chinese telecom giant Huawei was arrested in Canada following a US extradition request, threatening to rattle a trade war truce with the United States.

All three of those were published just YESTERDAY or TODAY. Now our electronic communications are crippled.

Just a coincidence obviously..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@MisterW wrote:

So I've been fortunate so far and not lost complete mobile serviceSmiley I have a dual sim phone with a PN SIM as the main one and a Giffgaff one for backup calls/texts (not data). It's always useful to have access to different networks, in my case EE & O2 so that in areas of bad coverage (or outage) on one network there's always a chance the other will be ok.

Like you I'm also dual sim. I use Tesco (O2) and ASDA (EE). I'm surviving the 4G apocalypse..

I'm fortunate enough to have a phone that can use LTE on both sim slots which for dual sim phones isn't as common as you'd think (I never realised that when i bought it). It's getting a bit old and slow but I'm reluctant to upgrade just yet until i find another phone that can match that one crucial feature.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

What !! No O2...

No problem !

https://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/inmarsat-isatphone-2-satellite-phone

https://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/iridium-9555-satellite-phone

I have both Virgin & Orange UK Mobile phones, no problems today.

Plus Three, all can use wifi if need be.

Then of course, the good old dependable BT Landline....

plus when associated with SKYPE.

As a last resort.....

Can Phones copy.jpgIf you use empty Alphabetti Spaghetti cans, you can also send & receive Text Messages !!

Alphabetti Spag.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Yeah reading about it now, some people who use them have commented.

Bet PlusNet are glad they use EE and not O2, otherwise their CS will have been busy!

I use EE but I go through them directly but I have read some O2 people who have mentioned it. Also Tesco mobile who I assume is their physical operator.