cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 limiting on Smartphones

pierre_pierre
Grafter

O2 limiting on Smartphones

not sure if this is the correct place, O2 are scrapping unlimited data on smart phones  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10285910.stm
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): the Broadband and Routers board is really just for landline-based broadband, so I've put this in Chit Chat instead.]
5 REPLIES
robjodi1985
Grafter

Re: O2 limiting on Smartphones

wrong place mate,no just kidding do as u please!! actually just realised im on 02 the link:censored  Angry
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): swear-word filter evasion removed.]
Community Veteran

Don't worry any/everyone – people who already have unlimited data on their contracts won't be affected for as long as they continue to use that contract rather than signing up for a new one.
matt_2k34
Grafter

indeed.
Also worth noting this does not include internet tethering on your iphone (for example) only the data to and from the device, tethering is dealt with on a seperate cost (unless you jailbreak, which is breaking your o2 terms + condi's - and your liable to pay the rest of the contract and to be cut off) hum Smiley
500mb is a massive amount of data to a phone really..
mitchell20
Grafter

It really was only a matter of time before the mobile networks started capping the massive explosion in mobile data usage we have seen over the last 18 months or so.  After all don't forget the mobile networks plug into the internet the same way fixed line broadband providers do.  Apparently O2 have been lighting new broadband pipes at quite a rapid rate over the last 12 months.
Also on O2 with an iPhone (there's an iPhone 4 with my name on it too  Wink ) and I only manage about 200Mb a month max on cellular, so I've now issues even if O2 change my tariff to a capped data one.
At least now the iPhone 4 is available on all UK mobile networks, this might spread the data usage around a bit.
Community Veteran

Just to put this all in to context really, two years ago I was still paying Orange, if I recall correctly, £4 a month for… four whole megabytes. And that wasn't just me being stuck with a bad plan (the phone at the time was SIM-free so I could move to any operator I chose); that really was the general going rate for pay as you go mobile data. In fact, O2 still charge £3/MB for out-of-bundle costs to Pay & Go users. Makes you realise that 500MB included in a £30/month contract isn't such a bad deal after all!