O2 have announced new PAYG rates

Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

O2 have announced new PAYG rates

Calls  3p/min

2p per text

Data 1p/MB

From 18th January

This could be  be  game changer for a light or intermittent light users to move from contract to O2 PAYG

Note to Mods posted here as it isn't a Plusnet Mobile problem

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: O2 have announced new PAYG rates

Three changed the game a few years back with their 3-2-1 PAYG SIM, 3p/Min, 2p/Text, 1p/MB, so not exactly a "new deal" by O2 there... Crazy

ffox
Rising Star

@Oldjim:  Link please - it didn't come up on Google.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The problem with a lot of the charges is they completely ignore the cost of any remaining credit disappearing at the end of the month or after not using your phone for a while.

I still have an ancient O2 sim I "found" with over a £100 credit on it. Occasionally useful as it is "non disappearing" credit even though it has a 30p call charge. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I have a Tesco sim for that reason, I bought it several years ago, still got £8 credit on it.
But isn't 1/2/3 the same as 3 has had for several years? Or does the O2 one not expire?
Community Veteran

@ffox it hasn't been published yet although this is as close as it get https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2263449/o2-classic-payg-reduces-prices and I was also notified by text of the change direct from O2 

O2 Change.jpg

Regarding Three yes it is now the same but in my area their coverage is non-existent and they don't offer 2G which is where my best coverage is

Regarding expiry this is the up to date situation it runs effectively continue  indefinitely with requirement that you need to make a chargeable call every 6 months and top up every 999 days

Note that T&C's don't reflect that yet

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-devices/PAYG-expiry-date/m-p/111985/highlight/true#M20038

but then again neither do they reflect this https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Bogus-999-day-top-up-rule-is-NOT-in-the-T-Cs/td-p/114811/h... see post at the bottom

Re: Bogus 999 day top up rule is NOT in the T&Cs

Yes,
I was emailed as follows on 22nd Sept 2010:
"Thank you to you both for taking the time to speak with me recently.

As promised, this email is to confirm that we've extended the period of which prepay customers will remain connected without having to top up, from 999 days to 25 years.

I hope this email provides you with adequate confirmation.

Kind regards

Complaint Review Service

I too remember the never expires credit ones (my Virgin PAYG did that until they they changed the rules) but the O2 Sim is the best of the current bunch in that regard at 999 days or even 25 years Roll eyes

Just to add - apologies if the multiple edits caused problems with multiple notifications but it took that long to get the html coding sorted out - it was much easier on the old forums

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

billnotben wrote:

I still have an ancient O2 sim I "found" with over a £100 credit on it. Occasionally useful as it is "non disappearing" credit even though it has a 30p call charge. 

I have a similar sim for three's mobile broadband service. For some odd reason my remaining cash balanace of 10p has never vapourised, it continues to sit on it. Three have openly told me on the phone they intend to disconnect that sim (it's one of those that gets a public IP address which they don't like) but while there is still cash credit on there they seem reluctant to disconnect it. I guess at some point i need to put more money on it just to keep it "in use" and actually use it now and then...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ffox
Rising Star

@Oldjim: Many thanks.Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

HairyMcbiker wrote:
Or does the O2 one not expire?

I've looked at the tariff plan on this sim and apparently it was especially made for emergency and hardly used phones, to always be there.

So while some sims lose unused credit after a month or the sim dies after a couple of months of non use this one does neither.

My Teso sim doesn't lose credit but the Tesco sim I had in a spare phone in my car died after a couple of months non use taking any remaining credit with it.

I imagine mobile companies do very well out of unused credit. There used to be a few online sites where you could trade in credit for usually 50% of its value but most have disappeared. Mobile companies would be crying into their beer if they were ever forced to refund any unused credit on request.

Community Veteran

Oldjim wrote:

Regarding Three yes it is now the same but in my area their coverage is non-existent and they don't offer 2G which is where my best coverage is

Might want to look at other options as there were claims made back in 2015 that 2G and 3G services may be phased out by 2020, rendering GSM and 3G phones useless, except maybe as door stops... Smiley

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

Three changed the game a few years back with their 3-2-1 PAYG SIM, 3p/Min, 2p/Text, 1p/MB, so not exactly a "new deal" by O2 there... Crazy

And................

PAYG credit on Three never expires

And...........

You can make calls via your home router, if you have the 3 in touch app on your phone

Screen Shot 2015-04-18 at 15.10.45.jpgScreen Shot 2015-04-18 at 15.10.53.jpgScreen Shot 2015-04-18 at 15.11.42.jpgScreen Shot 2015-04-18 at 15.11.52.jpgScreen Shot 2015-04-18 at 15.12.27.jpgScreen Shot 2015-04-12 at 17.37.07.jpgJust some screen grabs from my Three account

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 47

Confirmed...

threecredit.png

I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

3 not expire.jpg

I also use my Three Network  phones to keep preferential special memorable numbers "alive" for ever......

xxx xxx 23456

yyy yyy 23456

xxx xxx 45678

Plus a couple of really, really special numbers.....

etc...

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke

regarding 2G and 3G phase out it all seems to be a lot of speculation and depends on the availability of the 800MHz GSM bands as they are the only ones capable of replacing 2G as 1800Mhz just doesn't cut it in rural areas

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2015/04/2g_and_3g_to_be_phased_out_by_2020/

Note that is where piggy back suppliers on EE will be in trouble

I don't know why thread deviated so far so quickly (it was Chit Chat so I should have expected it I suppose) Roll eyes

This could be  be  game changer for a light or intermittent light users to move from contract to O2 PAYG

Although so could Three but only where they have decent coverage except I wasn't aware of them as being viable when I moved from Plusnet which at least worked on 3G but but not 4G at 1,800MHz and wouldn't even allow phone calls at my Local Hospital even the car park whereas O2 and Vodafone do

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Infinity wrote:

You can make calls via your home router, if you have the 3 in touch app on your phone

Yeah but that app is atrocious, but thankfully its becoming increasingly unnecessary with more and more phones supporting native WiFi calling.

As an aside it does amuse me the carriers have been able to spin piggybacking on customers WiFi/broadband because of a lack of coverage as a feature...