Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 ... Oh NO.

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

O2 ... Oh NO.

O2 doubles worldwide roaming charges for 23million mobile customers
From November 28 the cost of receiving a call in the US will rise from 39p to 90p per minute and making a call will go up from 90p to £1.10.
Sending a text will cost 40p, where it previously cost just 25p.
Data will also be charged at £6 per MB.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-2226168/O2-roaming-charges-mobile-network-doubles-tex...

O2 is the one network I am not on.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: O2 ... Oh NO.

Doesn`t worry me as I don`t do international calls on my PAYG phone !... however, I thought I read somewhere that they were either cutting the roaming charges ( for roaming, read robbing  Roll eyes ) or doing away with them altogether.... was a few months back
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That was in Europe shutter and yes its been cut down on.
Of course the mobile operators couldn't accept that loss of big fat profit so now those of us who can't even afford foreign travel will pay the price for those who can  Crazy
EDIT: Not sure about the data and text charges - i assumed that was for uk based stuff but now i'm not sure if it instead meant USA also.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

They've cut the roaming charges within the EU, because the EU commision has forced them to do so.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9299841/EU-mobile-ro...
I guess they're making up for it by charging more elsewhere!
Fixes: 125

Never understood why people use roaming.
Just buy a local SIM. Internet access, if required must be cheaper - I assume Undecided
Surely, international calls made on a local SIM must be cheaper as well?
Last time I was in Ukraine I installed WhatsApp on my HTC. Local SIM didn't have internet but there were plenty of free access points and used my brother-in-law's WiFi while at home.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I use O2 for mobile calls, but if I'm travelling/working in a non-european country  I usually buy a local PAYG SIM  on arrival. I don't do this in the airport but track down a phone shop in town. I then use that mobile phone (SIM) for making/receiving local calls. I then redirect my business number (Vonage) to the local cell phone/SIM. So if someone outside of the country wants to call me I advise them to just call my business line back in the UK . If I suspect I'll be making a lot of calls back to the UK I usually rent a  local 1-800 number and redirect that back to my home in the UK and then call the "free" phone number from my local mobile. 
If I'm in range of a good internet connection I'll use Skype for incoming/outgoing calls, but in many places, particularly Africa, wireless  Internet can be decidedly poor even though the Mobile service is good.
The above might sound complex, but once its  been thought through is relatively straight forward to set up and can save a lot of money over the costs of using a UK mobile phone whilst travelling outside of the UK.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

When I'm in the US I use an AT&T SIM. Don't make many voice calls but send a lot of texts which cost me 25 cents to the UK.  Much cheaper Smiley