cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Concert

Community Veteran

O2 Concert

Going to the O2 tomorrow evening.  We have tickets to see Barbra Streisand in concert.  It's many years since I've seen her live and really looking forward to it.  If her performance last night is anything to go by she hasn't lost anything of her presence on stage Smiley Smiley
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: O2 Concert

Barbra Streisand is a much better singer than she is often given credit for. In an old dusty LP record collection I have her singing a selection of classical operatic arias, and very good she is too.
Another classically trained singer is the wonderful Linda Ronstadt
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Duck Sauce anyone?  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

I used to love going to concerts and saw many in the 80's and early 90's ranging from rock, pop through to classical.
Back then the prices seemed to average between £10 and £20 depending on venue/artist. Frequently there was no booking fee if you purchased direct from the venue whether in person, post or telephone.
These days I see live concerts as just being a cynical ploy for the record companies to make as much money as they can out of the fans. With many concert ticket prices starting from £50+ plus the obligatory booking fee I can't see myself going to many, if at all, in the near/distant future.
That said, artmo, I hope you thoroughly enjoy the concert and look forward to your review. We had a thread a while ago and I said then that I enjoyed DVDs/blu-rays of Streisand in concert.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

@ Mav, thank you, we are certainly looking forward to it with eager anticipation.
Just checked and the last time I saw her live was in 1994 - makes me feel old Wink
The O2 is a fantastic venue and is now the most popular venue in the world. Tomorrow's stage is towards one end of the arena so she won't be performing totally in the round.
Community Veteran

Wow!!  What a fantastic concert it was last night.  A capacity crowd of around 20,000 were enthralled.  Streisand has lost none of her magic.
She had a 60 piece orchestra, one of the biggest I've seen for many years.  The staging was brilliant with some spectacular lighting effects.
One of the guest artists was Chris Botti who duetted with Streisand. A great performance.
A memorable evening Cool Cool

Glad you enjoyed it.
I hope there is a blu-ray of this tour due.
I've been to several concerts when the cameras were there, too. Watching on TV a few months later was great but it never really captured the full atmosphere.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

@Mav, I assume a DVD will be released once the tour finishes. As far as I know the tour has 5 European dates and then that's it.
Have you seen 'One Voice'? If you haven't it's well worth getting.  I see Amazon has it.  Streisand puts on a concert from her garden in LA and sings to a celebrity audience.  Fantastic Cool
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Back then the prices seemed to average between £10 and £20 depending on venue/artist. Frequently there was no booking fee if you purchased direct from the venue whether in person, post or telephone.
These days I see live concerts as just being a cynical ploy for the record companies to make as much money as they can out of the fans. With many concert ticket prices starting from £50+ plus the obligatory booking fee I can't see myself going to many, if at all, in the near/distant future

You're so right about ticket prices.  A musical in the West End would be selling the best tickets for £80+ and as you say there is also a booking fee.  Even if you book at the theatre they will charge a handling fee.  They should be forced to do what the airlines have been forced to do and include all charges in the price.  You can, however, get some bargains.  Two weeks weeks ago we went to the Palladium to see 'A Chorus Line' and picked up stalls seats for £50 each.
It was an entirely different situation for Streisand.  The cheapest tickets were about £100 and the top price £450.  We got 2 tickets for £200 each but worth every ££. Good seats on the arena floor.

Quote from: artmo
Have you seen 'One Voice'? If you haven't it's well worth getting.  I see Amazon has it.  Streisand puts on a concert from her garden in LA and sings to a celebrity audience.  Fantastic Cool

Thanks, I will add that to my Father's Day list; unfortunately it doesn't appear to be on blu-ray.
Quote from: artmo
You can, however, get some bargains.  Two weeks weeks ago we went to the Palladium to see 'A Chorus Line' and picked up stalls seats for £50 each.

Sadly, with my recent and forthcoming expenditure the words bargain and £50 don't appear together in my vocabulary Cheesy

Community Veteran

On the day Streisand sold out the O2 Green Day sold out the Emirates.  Here's some of the 90,000 crowd.
shalom2010
Grafter

Could you actually see her or her image on the big screen?
Community Veteran

Sorry, the crowds below were at the Green Day concert.  I went to the Streisand concert at the O2 where there was no standing and we had excellent seats. Full view as well as the screens.
shalom2010
Grafter

Excellent - I'm very jealous, she has a magical voice...even better than my other favourite Shirley Bassey (Just listen to The Performance CD!)
Community Veteran

Yes, Bassey is another favourite.  I had a girl friend who adored her so we went to see her a few times, mainly at the Royal Albert Hall.  I think she's in retirement now and lives in France Undecided