cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nut allergy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Nut allergy

My daughter suffers with nut allergy. Very allergic to peanuts in particular, as well as other nuts.
Strikes me as strange because peanuts are not actually nuts, they are closer related to beans. So why is she not allergic to baked beans, or peas?
Not that I'm complaining, it's a mobile prison sentence. Just struck me as quite odd.
10 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Nut allergy

Name me a nut, as a clue Walnut, Brazil and Almonds are all seeds.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Is a coconut a nut?  Does it cause allergy?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My doc thinks I am allergic to nuts, I keep telling her that I LOVE nuts, peanuts or walnuts or why.
I had to go to the hospital a year + ago, after I had a strange attack. I had been eating peanuts, and felt a sharp pain in my upper jaw to my lower jaw, then my tongue went numb, I tried an anti-histamine, but no effect, after an hour of it getting worse, I went to the hospital and it was like I had been to the dentist and my mouth was numb. They rushed me in, and stuck me full of tubes. Couldn't find anything but they did get the swelling down, kept me in overnight and give me an epie pen (sp?) with instructions on how to use it,
So after a bit I tested with a couple of nuts, nothing, more nuts nothing. So I keep telling the doc I am NOT allergic to nuts, but am allergic to shell food and now kiwi fruit (shame as I like them, but they cause my throat to swell like a cold).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: itsme
Name me a nut, as a clue Walnut, Brazil and Almonds are all seeds.

M6 full hex?  Smiley
Wing?  Wink
Captive?  Cheesy
Castellated?  Grin

Mrs W23?  Lips are sealed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

I'm a big nut fan.......I'm also good at climbing trees and bury nuts for later consumption.
It must be a real pain having such an allergy as nuts can appear in all sorts of food..."may contain nuts"
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Anaphylaxis  VERY SERIOUS....
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anaphylaxis/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Anaphylaxis is a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction that can develop rapidly.
It is also known as anaphylactic shock.
Signs of anaphylaxis include
   breathing difficulties
   feeling lightheaded or faint
   changes to your skin, such as itchy skin or a raised, red skin rash
   swelling of certain body parts, particularly the face (angioedema)
Read more about the symptoms of anaphylaxis.
What to do
Anaphylaxis should always be treated as a medical emergency.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Must be a worry when eating out as there have been cases where customers have been assured what they ordered did not contain nuts but no mention was made of the cooking oil which may have been made from nuts !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Food premises should display a notice regarding Nut content... ( I think it is Food Safety Law )...
itsme
Grafter

They do a general disclaimer so if you have an allergy you never eat out
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

You see how many food products say on their allergy warnings ; " Does not contain nuts. However was produced on machinery previously using nut products". 
So, yes its all a gamble.  Undecided