cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number crunching

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Number crunching

Interesting "number crunch" in the current "Private Eye"...
7 tons of carbon dioxide emitted
yearly by a single Aga.
Which the "Guardian" is campaigning against.
17 tons of carbon dioxide emitted
yearly from a single F1 racing car.
Which the Guardian is promoting
with a special edition.
(I wonder by who and how are these figures arrived at!!)
In spite of some opinions I have nothing against F1 (or any other motor sport) they don't seem to feel the need to justify their use of hydrocarbon fuels (you'll spot I didn't say the "P" word) I just find in most cases watching paint dry somewhat more exciting and probably more productive. However I do think this years change to the way drivers are assessed -by wins, rather than the manifestly unfair points system- could lead to a modicum of interest, and a shake up for the constructors too, the omnipotent Ferrari has already received a smack in the eye.
petlew retires to await maranello's learned dissection of my opinion...
Edit: I have been advised twice that the "win" system has been dropped for this year.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Number crunching

Quote from: Petlew
However I do think this years change to the way drivers are assessed -by wins, rather than the manifestly unfair points system- could lead to a modicum of interest, and a shake up for the constructors too, the omnipotent Ferrari has already received a smack in the eye.

Actually the system of most wins to win the title has been dropped , for this season at least.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
this years change to the way drivers are assessed -by wins

That's NOT been changed this year, it's exactly the same as last year.
Community Veteran

Thank you santiago, shows how much interest I usually take in F1, what was the reason d'you know, can't surely be because of difficulty with working out the results, my 6 year old granddaughter could do that with her eyes shut!

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I'm struggling to picture in my mind a race circuit with 20 Aga's sitting stationary on the starting grid. Once I get past this I might respond to the obvious bait...........
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Lurker
Grafter

[me=James_G]thinks Ferrari have gone Eco, and simply rebadged an Aga for their new racing season this year.[/me]
/runs from maranello Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: James_G
[meand simply rebadged an Aga for their new racing season this year.[/me]

Ah! now a Ferrari with a bread oven, that'll be worthwhile.

maranello
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What's wrong with that? McLaren make baby buggies, Toyota sewing machines, Honda lawnmowers.
Some of the teams are even connected with the manufacture of road cars, with the obvious exceptions of Williams, Red Bull/Toro Rosso, Force India,
and Renault Grin
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Lurker
Grafter

Just slide this in here then...  Kiss
Community Veteran

Quote from: maranello
and Renault

Er! who?
maranello, I do believe you're not taking this seriously... Shocked

Lurker
Grafter

I own a Renault Megane II, and can therefore categorically state that the manufacture of Aga's would be more relevant to motorsport that the shoddy cobbling together of cheap plastic components that Renault attempt to pass off as motor vehicles.
Lurker
Grafter

Oh - the bloody heater is rubbish in the Megane too, an Aga would at least be easier to defrost in winter...
Community Veteran

Just slide this in here then...  Kiss

Good for griddle cakes then.
As long as he doesn't Bernie the ecclestone cakes though.
Been waiting to post that all afternoon...

Lurker
Grafter

You'll notice that in the image the front wing is missing too - it was obviously taken whilst in testing, before they'd finalised the design.
(Erm, by 'wing' I mean 'towel rail' *ahem*)
And Petlew - its great to know I'm not alone in having an odd sense of humour, and an almost tourettes-like urge to say spontaneously daft things.
I'd have been dying to post that too, had I thought of it.
Dammit. Grin
Community Veteran

You'll notice that in the image the front wing is missing too -

That'll be the variable compound rubber sitting on the wing? but Buttonhole the mechanic though, he shouldn't leave his tool bag laying about like that